• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW
    How big is your morgage?
    £0.

No suffering from mortgage envy here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      £0.
      I asked Shimano105 because he turned permie recently....

Comment

Anyone without a mortgage shows a lack of ambition when it comes to owning a large house.

It is accepted wisdom in the UK to buy a house well outside your own affordability levels and then live in poverty for the 1st 15 years until inflation has eroded the debt.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
          In any 25 year period they only ever do go up. Of course you being a nomad, and presumably living in a hedge, don't have to consider the fact that wherever you live is going to consume money, and can therefore hypothesize till the cows come home about "buying power" and all the other buzzwords the grown-ups in your vicinity bandy about!
          It sounds to me like I have touched a bit of a "raw nerve" - has one just committed to a rather large mortgage by any chance ?

How factually sure are you that house prices (as in "real terms" prices) only ever go up ?

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
            has one just committed to a rather large mortgage by any chance ?
            No.

How factually sure are you that house prices (as in "real terms" prices) only ever go up ?
            I am factually positive that in "real terms", one has to have somewhere to live. If you can explain in "real terms", just how one evades shelling out cash in "real terms" to do that, I may consider dredging up an answer to your ridiculous request.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

one has to have somewhere to live. If you can explain in "real terms", just how one evades shelling out cash in "real terms" to do that, I may consider dredging up an answer to your ridiculous request.
              I take it that you are not factually certain they always go up then !

I totally agree that everyone needs to live somewhere and accomodation doesnt come free.

However, my original assertions were

1) Renting can be cheaper than a repayment mortgage (and in some areas MUCH cheaper)

2) House prices do not always go up (which is a dangerous assumption made by a worryingly high proportion of house buyers in the UK which is helping to create a very dangerous property market for the unwary)

I seemed to have offended you in some way.....so as you insist on slinging personal insults around I can only conclude it must be the "wrong time of the month" for you

Comment

Permie? ME? Don't make me...

Ok, I tried it out and quit after 2 weeks - now I'm 'back on the tools' contracting, thankfully.

Oh, and no m*rtgage either thank you!

Comment

It sounds to me like I have touched a bit of a "raw nerve" - has one just committed to a rather large mortgage by any chance ?

There have been periods of sustained falls, both in real and absolute terms. Mid victorian with liberalisation of the market was one.

In real terms recently 74-77, 80-82, 89-96.

The trough in '96 was pretty much at the level of the peak of '74. And conicidentally '80.

Comment

I take it that you are not factually certain they always go up then !
                    Well show me a 25-year period when they have fallen then smarta*se! Or else stop waffling like Margaret Beckett!!

I seemed to have offended you in some way.....so as you insist on slinging personal insults around I can only conclude it must be the "wrong time of the month" for you
                    Another stick you have hold of the wrong end of. And it would take more than a lightweight like you to offend me sonny!

Next!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Another stick you have hold of the wrong end of. And it would take more than a lightweight like you to offend me sonny!

Next!!

I am glad I havent caused any offence because that would put me in your league.

Comment

Working...
                      X