• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mind the gap!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang on, she says she measured the gap at 46 to 51cm, 18" to 20" in old money, that is huge.

A gap big enough to put a foot in is a hazard, one an adult can fall through is ridiculous. It wouldn't take much to solve this, I like the idea of the automatic plate someone mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      Hang on, she says she measured the gap at 46 to 51cm, 18" to 20" in old money, that is huge.

A gap big enough to put a foot in is a hazard, one an adult can fall through is ridiculous. It wouldn't take much to solve this, I like the idea of the automatic plate someone mentioned.
      It is not 'huge' at all - less than a standard stride.

And as for the last paragraph in the article comment about someone doing something to protect my children how about you stop your children dicking around on rail platforms as they could fall under a train and die.....

Also the gap is like just next to a ******* big train - you would think people would notice it..

Take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to get the state to nanny us..

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        It is not 'huge' at all - less than a standard stride.

And as for the last paragraph in the article comment about someone doing something to protect my children how about you stop your children dicking around on rail platforms as they could fall under a train and die.....

Also the gap is like just next to a ******* big train - you would think people would notice it..

Take responsibility for your own actions and stop trying to get the state to nanny us..

Why the **** shouldn't the railways be as safe and user friendly as possible?

In the rush hour it's quite possible that someone could be accidentally pushed off a train or unable to get on safely. Not to mention that you can also have a height of 8"+ to navigate. For an old person with a walking stick, someone with suitcases or more than one young child this is going to be a problem.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Why the **** shouldn't the railways be as safe and user friendly as possible?

In the rush hour it's quite possible that someone could be accidentally pushed off a train or unable to get on safely. Not to mention that you can also have a height of 8"+ to navigate. For an old person with a walking stick, someone with suitcases or more than one young child this is going to be a problem.
          WHS

Different people have different "standard strides" and there is no reason why the rail network shouldn't support them.
          Thankfully society has moved on from survival of the fittest
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Not to mention that making it easier for those less able to get on and off easily reduces the dwell time in stations and makes it more likely that trains will actually run on time.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I fail to see why I should see a hike in the prices I pay to travel on the train to pander to the tiny percent of society who seem to struggle with a basic task.

I see your point about the elderly etc - but there are 'normally' porters etc at most stations who are available to assist those who need it. And hey - we can all help too - I always do where needed.

And remember you do have a choice - you do not have to take the train....

Comment

I fail to see why I should see a hike in the prices I pay to travel on the train to pander to the tiny percent of society who seem to struggle with a basic task.

I see your point about the elderly etc - but there are 'normally' porters etc at most stations who are available to assist those who need it. And hey - we can all help too - I always do where needed.

And remember you do have a choice - you do not have to take the train....
                I fail to see why they should put up with a barely usable service or be forced to use alternate means of transport to save you a tiny amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I fail to see why they should put up with a barely usable service or be forced to use alternate means of transport to save you a tiny amount of money.
                  Barely usable......

The Railways have been with us for what 150 years???? what has changed now that makes them barely useable.

Nothing has changed with the railways at all - what has changed is peoples lack of ability to take responsibility for their own actions.

Tiny amount of money ... to upgrade all stations so that the trains are level with the platforms..... add in some perspex barriers (how long before someone running for a train goes through one and tries to sue..) straigten out some platforms.....

I think we are talking much larger amounts than you may think.

But anyway what will be will be.. have a great xmas and -- erm if you have a few beers and take the train home..

Mind the damn gap!

Comment

Barely usable......

The Railways have been with us for what 150 years???? what has changed now that makes them barely useable.

Nothing has changed with the railways at all - what has changed is peoples lack of ability to take responsibility for their own actions.
                    Well, lets see, we have millions more people using them, different rolling stock that makes the gaps bigger, people living longer and hence more old people, and 150 years of progress so that we can actually make things better than we could back then.

Tiny amount of money ... to upgrade all stations so that the trains are level with the platforms..... add in some perspex barriers (how long before someone running for a train goes through one and tries to sue..) straigten out some platforms.....

I think we are talking much larger amounts than you may think.
                    But these amounts are being spent anyway with stations being refurbished, track being renewed, platforms lengthened and so on. Amortised over a period of years and millions of users the per journey cost is fairly minor. And like I say, making passenger ingress and egress easier actually increases the capacity of the rail network, which benefits everybody.

But anyway what will be will be.. have a great xmas and -- erm if you have a few beers and take the train home..

Mind the damn gap!

Yeah, merry christmas.

I'll be getting a cab though

Comment

Barely usable......

The Railways have been with us for what 150 years????
                      150 years ago they didn't have platforms, those were invented make it easier for people to get onto the train
                      They also didn't have a handy foot bridge for crossing the railway, those were invented to keep squishy people away from solid and fast moving chunks of metal.
                      They also didn't have escalators taking people up from the platform to the bridge, those were invented to make life easier
                      They also didn't have a lift from the platform to the bridge, those were introduced to make the station accessible for certain groups of people and to make moving luggage around easier.

We could go back to a train station being a man in a shed selling tickets for one old pence. Or we could actually try and make things better.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X