• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Deflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    You don't think that low RPI/CPI was used as a justification to ignore rising asset prices (a sign of the credit bubble)? This is what Mervyn King said in 2003:

Basically he is saying that central banks can ignore asset prices and just concentrate on "inflation".

Or you don't think that the asset/credit bubble was a significant contributory factor to the subsequent economic collapse?
    Like I said, indirect at best. Lack of regulation around packaged debt was a little more significant IMO
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
      Like I said, indirect at best. Lack of regulation around packaged debt was a little more significant IMO
      The reason the packaged debt marked imploded was that the models used to price those packages all had the assumption that the valuation of the assets behind them (houses) was not a bubble valuation and that those asset values could never fall. For the regulators to spot that issue, they would have needed to have accepted that the underlying asset valuations were wrong, i.e. the credit bubble existed. So, in my view, the lack of regulation was in large part thanks to the philosophy of the regulators that as long as they could "control" "prices" i.e. RPI/CPI they did not have to worry about asset bubbles and by extension the fallout that the bursting of those bubbles would cause. King even says so in the quote above, when he cites Greenspans view that regulators could just "mitigate the fallout when it occurs".
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

You seem wilfully oblivious to this.
        RA RA RA I am very oblivious to this

Comment

The reason the packaged debt marked imploded was that the models used to price those packages all had the assumption that the valuation of the assets behind them (houses) was not a bubble valuation and that those asset values could never fall. For the regulators to spot that issue, they would have needed to have accepted that the underlying asset valuations were wrong, i.e. the credit bubble existed. So, in my view, the lack of regulation was in large part thanks to the philosophy of the regulators that as long as they could "control" "prices" i.e. RPI/CPI they did not have to worry about asset bubbles and by extension the fallout that the bursting of those bubbles would cause. King even says so in the quote above, when he cites Greenspans view that regulators could just "mitigate the fallout when it occurs".
          Again you're creating your own cause and effect without backing it up. Trouble is I suspect now you're so entrenched in your own argument that you'll keep digging regardless of what anyone else suggests
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Again you're creating your own cause and effect without backing it up. Trouble is I suspect now you're so entrenched in your own argument that you'll keep digging regardless of what anyone else suggests
            Clearly you disagree, although you haven't really explained why. Your counter-argument so far has essentially consisted of "oh no it doesn't".
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Clearly you disagree, although you haven't really explained why. Your counter-argument so far has essentially consisted of "oh no it doesn't".
              It's behind you

To be fair, I'm not trying (can't be bothered) to have an argument, just pointing out some holes in yours.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

To be fair, I'm not trying (can't be bothered) to have an argument, just pointing out some holes in yours.
                There is a hole in Freamon's mind.

Comment

It's behind you

To be fair, you haven't really pointed out any holes, you've just said there are holes, but not explained what they actually are.

Comment

Working...
                  X