• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Allez France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    wtfay?
    Well, lets see, can we think of any other recently banned posters with links to Paris? He'll be back to ranting about Bobs taking over CUK anytime now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      Well, lets see, can we think of any other recently banned posters with links to Paris? He'll be back to ranting about Bobs taking over CUK anytime now.
      No idea what that post means. Just joining what seems to be a very unbalanced eurozone discussion and have some time off until the new year when my new contract starts.

Comment

France? Oh yes France; that's that place that keeps getting in the way by going on strike when other Europeans want to go from some nice place to some other nice place for a holiday.

Do we really need it?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by AllezFrance View Post
          Great news to get the gig in Paris. Now't doing in the UK and ain't gonna change.

Actually there was quite a lot doing in the UK at the end of the last quater in my sector. Aren't you worried about the euro losing value with all the issues going on at the moment? Personally I still have a mortgage in the UK. So being told that my rate is not much better than 500 a day at home, with all the French tax laws to contend with and currency fluctuations on top. that seems very risky.

Good luck

Comment

No idea what that post means. Just joining what seems to be a very unbalanced eurozone discussion and have some time off until the new year when my new contract starts.
            So you have a gig in Paris and now the Eurozone is saved?

I hope they reward you by importing you some soap as you won't find any in the shops there.

Comment

Ooh a Christmas pressie from the mods/admin!
              And I didn't get you anything ...

+50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

On the subject of the French I enjoyed Rod Liddle's piece in the Sunday Times, so for certain types of people I can therefore see the allure of working there " Their favourite pastime, since you ask, is putting things up their bottoms: the French use more suppositories than the rest of Europe put together" :

am not usually the kind of person who would stand at my window howling with laughter as the bailiffs came to repossess my neighbour’s house, no matter how fervently I disliked them.

It’s not a terribly British thing to do, after all, to laugh at the misfortune of others. In fact it’s a German thing to do, really — schadenfreude. No matter how arrogant and indolent my neighbours were, or petulant and aggressive, or unmindful of the basics of personal hygiene and with breath that could stun a stoat at 30 paces, one wouldn’t normally leap up and down for joy as the bailiffs hammered on the door.

But we can make an exception when our neighbours are the French.

Mr French in his fatuous beret wandering home from his untaxing 35- hour week, Mrs French, who at the age of 56 is dolled up like a teenage Essex slapper out on the pull, the two of them communicating via that absurd agglomeration of histrionic tics and shrugs which constitutes the French language . . . I think, when it’s them, we should be allowed to bellow with glee and crack open the (Italian) bubbly.

The fact that they are heading towards the financial knacker’s yard has let them spend a night in indulging themselves
                At the moment, the French are hopping up and down with that unique combination of paranoia, self-delusion and spite which passes for international diplomacy. The news that their bereft economy is threatened with a downgrade by a credit rating agency has provoked them to indulge in their second-favourite pastime, that of being rude about Britain. Their favourite pastime, since you ask, is putting things up their bottoms: the French use more suppositories than the rest of Europe put together — a remarkable fact that Freud would have appreciated. A self-obsessed, solipsistic country, perpetually constipated. The fact that they are heading towards the financial knacker’s yard has given them the opportunity to spend a quiet night in indulging themselves, probably in both pastimes.

First we had Christian Noyer, governor of the Bank of France, insisting that it was the British who should be downgraded rather than them. This baton was eagerly taken up by the finance minister, François Baroin, who, closing his eyes tightly, announced that France’s economy “is in better shape than Britain’s”, a remark echoed by the country’s prime minister, François Fillon.

And all the while they are probably already in a recession (that’s according to their own statistics), have bigger government debt than us and are tied to that most ludicrous of all French fancies, the euro. The credit agencies don’t trust them to stick to their deficit reduction plans, any more than you or I would trust them to return the shears or not try to have sex with our daughters.

David Cameron must think it’s Christmas: ahead in the opinion polls and now attacked by embittered French pygmy politicians for sticking up for Britain. Short of dressing up as Santa and handing out free alcohol on street corners, it is difficult to see how the prime minister could possibly improve his public image.

The French have reacted blindly, out of pique and petulance and various other similar words that, not coincidentally, have their roots in the French language. And this is mostly because they are becoming more convinced, as each day goes by, that Britain was right to stay the hell away from a treaty that is now dissolving before their eyes.

A couple of nights ago, BBC News insisted that the French politicians were basically right to say that their country’s economy was in better shape than our own, once you removed the euro from the equation. Even if that were remotely true, the French have structural problems that make ours appear mild — not just greater debt but also declining growth. But why would you remove the euro from the equation? The euro is the point. France is mired in it. We are not.

But even the BBC, having lambasted Cameron for his supposed isolationism, has now been forced to concede that the treaty is fraying at the edges, and Britain is no longer standing in splendid isolation. Vive la différence and so on.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  So you have a gig in Paris and now the Eurozone is saved?

I hope they reward you by importing you some soap as you won't find any in the shops there.
                  An odd reply from BP with 50,000+ posts. When did I ever mention saving the eurozone?

Comment

An odd reply from BP with 50,000+ posts. When did I ever mention saving the eurozone?
                    You will be the only one in France with a job supporting a population of 60 million. You wont have time for suppositories
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      France? Oh yes France; that's that place that keeps getting in the way by going on strike when other Europeans want to go from some nice place to some other nice place for a holiday.

Do we really need it?
                      Well, at least they can strike in the proper manner (and not go shopping).

Comment

Working...
                      X