• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could a snap general election be coming?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    BTW is saying riot on an internet forum akin to saying bomb at the airport?
    Yes. You have now been placed on our 'potential terror threat' register and the boys from the extraordinary rendition department will be visiting you shortly.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

There could be an election if Lib Dems pull out of the coalition. There is no chance they would do that. This is their only chance to be in power.

If an election comes up, Labour will win easily. Enough Labour friendly media coverage has happened to convince the stupid muppets that Cons have cut their benefits to the bare bones and gobbled up all their pensions.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
        There could be an election if Lib Dems pull out of the coalition. There is no chance they would do that. This is their only chance to be in power.

If an election comes up, Labour will win easily. Enough Labour friendly media coverage has happened to convince the stupid muppets that Cons have cut their benefits to the bare bones and gobbled up all their pensions.
        To dissolve parliament, 55% majority of MPs is needed, which means that if the LD pull out, then they need some Tories as well to force a new election.

If the Tories pull out, then they only need 56 (I think) MPs to join them in a vote for a new election, which is significantly easier for them to achieve.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          To dissolve parliament, 55% majority of MPs is needed, which means that if the LD pull out, then they need some Tories as well to force a new election.

If the Tories pull out, then they only need 56 (I think) MPs to join them in a vote for a new election, which is significantly easier for them to achieve.
          Except 50% of MPs + 1 are required to repeal the law that states that 55% of MPs are needed to dissolve Parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Except 50% of MPs + 1 are required to repeal the law that states that 55% of MPs are needed to dissolve Parliament.
            You've got to get a vote on that first, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              You've got to get a vote on that first, though.
              Opposition motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Opposition motion.
                I can't see the LDs wanting to dissolve the coalition.

A party that campaigns for electoral reform needs to be able to prove that coalitions can provide stable governments. For them to walk out now would be even more suicidal than signing a personal pledge to vote against tuition fees and then being the person that introduces them.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                X