• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iran shows film of captured US drone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Never begin a sentence with and; thicko.
    AIUI, beginning a sentence with 'and' (or 'or') is Ok but not a paragraph. And that's OK. Or this is?

And this is wrong, BTW

Or, conversely, doing this too...

Comment

If you think pooperscooper is a complete idiot then give some positive rep.

<--------------------------------- here

Comment

At the risk of getting the thread back on topic

Is anyone just a little bit concerned that UAVs could be hacked - we're talking about aircraft which can carry heavy weapons.

Got my doubts on the Iranian claim. Even without encryption, can you imagine the effort that would be required - getting the right frequencies, knowing the communications protocol - the command protocols - flying the damn thing etc. - the amount of research, preparation and effort that would have to go - just on the off-chance that a US UAV popped over the border.

It sounds too far fetched - my money is on a malfunction - at which point the UAV's protocol made an automatic landing.

Now the Iranians jamming the communicaiton with the US controllers, which might have triggered the auto-landing - that's just about feasible. But that was more luck than anything else for the Iranians.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          At the risk of getting the thread back on topic

Is anyone just a little bit concerned that UAVs could be hacked - we're talking about aircraft which can carry heavy weapons.

Got my doubts on the Iranian claim. Even without encryption, can you imagine the effort that would be required - getting the right frequencies, knowing the communications protocol - the command protocols - flying the damn thing etc. - the amount of research, preparation and effort that would have to go - just on the off-chance that a US UAV popped over the border.

It sounds too far fetched - my money is on a malfunction - at which point the UAV's protocol made an automatic landing.

Now the Iranians jamming the communicaiton with the US controllers, which might have triggered the auto-landing - that's just about feasible. But that was more luck than anything else for the Iranians.
          The autoland is supposed to take it back to base though. More likely they had help from chinese or russian experts, or really did do it themselves.

I would guess that to an expert making an educated guess as to how the comms work wouldn't be that hard. The iranians do build their own uav so clearly have some idea.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It seems that the Iranians have a Russian electronic warfare system called "Avtobaza" which is some sort of radar and radio emissions detection, location and jamming system. So although they may not have flown the drone it seems likely they bought it down.

Edit: catalogues available here

This 85V6 sounds interesting. I wonder if they have one of those.

• collection, accumulation and comparative
            analysis of electronic situation data for
            different combinations and change dynamics;
            • radio intercept with data recording;
            • technical analysis of radio-emitting source
            signals;
            • automated preparation of standardized
            messages.
            Last edited by doodab; 9 December 2011, 11:09.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Me too. Your turn.
              I do hope your corporate model is properly set up for Germany. Wouldn't want to be paying dual tax now would we.
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                I do hope your corporate model is properly set up for Germany. Wouldn't want to be paying dual tax now would we.
                Actually business out here is a pleasure. Setting up direct work packages with clients has never been easier.

Currently in negotiation with German consultancy offering support on a lager scale charging a % of the project. Pray for me it pays off and I'll be for the off.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Actually business out here is a pleasure. Setting up direct work packages with clients has never been easier.

Currently in negotiation with German consultancy offering support on a lager scale charging a % of the project. Pray for me it pays off and I'll be for the off.
                  I was enquiring to your company set up.
                  If you are using your UK limited (as your I'm an MD would suggest) then you may be open to double Corporation Tax.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                  X