• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage rates are likely to soar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes and No, there not gonna soar away to 15% like we had in the eighties because if you think were in the sh*t now we realy would be in trouble if it got to that point however i do think there will be a rise but only by 3 or 4 %

statistically uk % rate as always hovered around the 8% mark so thats probably where its going.

Comment

So the housing market will finally crash right after seller of property I wanted change their mind?

Comment

I hope not, I've got a lifetime tracker mortgage at a pittance over the base rate.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

All these arguments here are exactly the ones that have been raging on House Price Crash forums since 2004.

THERE WILL BE NO HOUSE PRICE CRASH.

Houses are priced in paper money. Paper money is being printed to oblivion. Measured in paper money, house prices are rising and will continue to rise.

Here is the average UK house priced in ounces of Gold.

If you haven't been holding Gold or a non debased currency like AUD, CHF, NOK, you've missed the crash.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
            there not gonna soar away to 15% like we had in the eighties
            <scribbles down quote for future reference>

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              I've just started reading The Alpha Strategy which though it was published in 1980 details some startling similarities to what we're seeing today.

- inflation due to money printing

- how inflation in prices in some areas (e.g. energy, food) causes other stuff to become cheaper (e.g. imported tat not currently under flood water) due to the money supply being limited (even printing money limits the supply due to devaluation) so people stop spending on other stuff causing recession

- how the move from gold or physical items as money to paper/electronic money allows fractional reserve banking (a bank only needs to keep a fraction of the money it receives in reserve and can loan out the rest while charging interest) to result in the massive bank debts and bailouts we see today due to them always effectively being insolvent (they couldn't afford to pay out all the money given to them for safekeeping if there was a bank run as they've lent most of it back out)

It's available for free on the internet (first result in google points to a free PDF version) and should be required reading for anyone wondering how the current financial mess happened, and what powers are behind it.
              Interesting. Does it give a solution to the current mess?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Yes, take yourselves and your children and go live in a country that doesn't have crushing debts, has plenty of natural resources, a non debased currency and a bright future.

Emigrating to Australia
                Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
                Immigration New Zealand

Alternatively, stay here and be ****ed over to pay for it all.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Dunno, only about half way through so far. A bit of light reading in the evening while waiting for Newsnight to start.

However, I'm expecting there to be no real help for normal folk and it ending with the usual "for more information on how to become rich and beat the system buy our next book and come to our seminar".
                  Last edited by PAH; 2 December 2011, 12:47.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    I hope not, I've got a lifetime tracker mortgage at a pittance over the base rate.
                    Then you should be using the low payments as an opportunity to repay the mortgage before the rates go up or you're forced to change to a different (and much less favourable) mortgage one way or the other.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Mine is tied to the BoE base rate. In the last credit crunch this didn't move as higher BoE interest rates would have caused more harm than good. So what is the opinion of you lot regarding predictions for the BoE base rate?
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X