• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who wants to become a spy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looked at it for a bit last night, thought I could get somewhere then lost interest when I realised I would have to type it all out again as it was on an image.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
      This code is written in C++.

I had to look carefully to ascertain this as there is no evidence of object orientation within this code sample so it could easily be mistaken for C.

Indeed it is just C with some sugar on it.

The give away is the use of pointers.

EDIT: This is where Is aw use of pointer: if (*(uint16_t *)&ptr[i] == 0x80cd)

HTH

Joshi
      Looks like pure C to me, can't see any "sugar".

Apparently solving the code takes you to a GCHQ application form for ~£20K roles

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

this means nothing to me but ..
        What on Earth does he need all that carp about paging and memory allocation, and the assembler? The guy is just showing off.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          What on Earth does he need all that carp about paging and memory allocation, and the assembler? The guy is just showing off.
          +1 to that, I saw the assembler and did a geek "lol"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Do I get to meet Alotta Fagina and Ivana Humpalot?

Sort of. Their names are Lucy Fagina and Ivana Trumpalot.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Looked at it for a bit last night, thought I could get somewhere then lost interest when I realised I would have to type it all out again as it was on an image.
              Lazybones - Only took me about 5 minutes to type out.

There are several repeated sequences that occur in both blocks, such as "df 29 cf" (just over half way down, and of course the two lots of "41 41 41 41". Also, there seem far more 88s and 89s than one would expect by chance.

Counting the distances between the 89s and mapping these to A, B, C, ... I ended up with "FKBCLEAIM", which if you squint at it seems to contain a garbled version of "FACEBOOK"; but that might just be coincidence.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
                Looks like pure C to me, can't see any "sugar".

Apparently solving the code takes you to a GCHQ application form for ~£20K roles
                If the geniuses that run GCHQ are struggling to solve the puzzle of why they can't attract people with brains it's no wonder they need help with codebreaking. I suspect this is less about recruitment and more about lulling the enemy into a false sense of security.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  If the geniuses that run GCHQ are struggling to solve the puzzle of why they can't attract people with brains it's no wonder they need help with codebreaking. I suspect this is less about recruitment and more about lulling the enemy into a false sense of security.
                  They pay their code breaking staff 20k yet the outsourced guy who fixes the printers is on 50k just because he has DV.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    They pay their code breaking staff 20k yet the outsourced guy who fixes the printers is on 50k just because he has DV.

True. There's more money in supplying them with paperclips (that are from a security approved supplier so need a 1000% markup ) than working for them or any other government department directly.

Especially now the government is cutting back on the staff, and will have to get contractors in to do the work.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      Crikey, I wondered where sasguru worked!
                      I know everything about you, bald short-arse.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X