• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Lewis bucks festive trend by breaking sales records | Business | The Guardian

Nice to hear one of the more ethical companies doing well for a change. Die Tesco die.

Comment

I shall be driving home on the 22nd Dec. I shall then be relaxing at home. Christmas day is just me and the wife. Boxing day is family at ours. Wifes parents, 2 grown up kids, 4 grand kids (one I have yet to meet) and us.
      I also have 4 offers to dine out including New Years eve.

I will be giving pressies to those I care enough about. I do not expect any in return though I do hope that somebody cares enough to make the effort even if it is a token gesture.

I am not a religious man but I use the season in its accepted manner of peace and good will to one and all.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Flying to blighty on xmas eve, will probably end up cooking xmas dinner at the outlaws and then flying back on boxing day.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Flying to blighty on xmas eve, will probably end up cooking xmas dinner at the outlaws and then flying back on boxing day.
          Can't they cook?
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Do we really need to buy each other tulip for Christmas? Why not show affection in less materialistic ways, or make a present out of biodegradable string or something, like in the good old days. Shops made this Christmas buying bonanza tulip up.
            Agree strongly for adults. Disagree for children - though we put far more effort into keeping the magic of Christmas for the kids rather than buying stuff. We put out a mince pie+sherry for Santa and a carrot for Rudolph. The mince pie gets half eaten, the sherry mostly drunk and the carrot nibbled. There is a footprint with magic snow around it. 2 years ago the kids asked why the snow did not melt - but that is because it is magic. One day they will taste it and realize it is icing sugar.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
              A rather run ragged one for me.
              WWS, never thought I'd say that.

Manchester for Christmas Day with wife's family.
              Devon on Boxing Day to see my family.
              Somerset on 27th to see a large selection of my extended family.
              London on the 28th to work again.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Agree strongly for adults. Disagree for children - though we put far more effort into keeping the magic of Christmas for the kids rather than buying stuff. We put out a mince pie+sherry for Santa and a carrot for Rudolph. The mince pie gets half eaten, the sherry mostly drunk and the carrot nibbled. There is a footprint with magic snow around it. 2 years ago the kids asked why the snow did not melt - but that is because it is magic. One day they will taste it and realize it is reindeer urine.....
                FTFY
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Christmas in the new house in Portugal. Looking forward to it.
                  Not sure we have everything we need and that everything works but there's a wood burning stove (and plenty of wood) so we'll be cosy at least.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working from home the two days before Christmas and then Christmas day with the family (including our current 7 week old's first Christmas) then probably having the wife's family around on Boxing day. Should be nice as me and Mrs VM will be cooking so get to spend some quality time together in the kitchen while our 3 year old entertains the guests.
                    Entertains being a rather subjective word here ... oh and quality time means getting drunk together while burning dinner
                    Really looking forward to it
                    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

As previously stated, the 24th is Christmas here where we shall go to the in-law. We shall eat cake (Frankfurter Kranz, mmmmm) and drink coffee and then we shall go into the parlour,turn on the lights on the Christmas tree while listening to carols sung by a dead gay Russian. Presents will then be exchanged and then we shall go home as the coffee and cake gives me the screaming tulips.

The next day I will spend drinking in the kitchen while I prepare a 3 course meal for a load of German friends who come round (I try to do a typical English one but in past years that has gone the way of Santa) and we shall play silly games and drink (lots of) silly drinks and then they all go home and I get my yearly shag of the neighbours cat.

I might then go back to work in between Christmas and Silvester but that will be spent drinking and partying in Hamburg.

Actually each year I change religion at this time so we don't have to bother with Christmas. This year I'm a Pastafari...
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X