• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government bribing electorate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Are you serious? This is exactly what Brown and Co said for the last decade, splurging taxpayers money on "investments" all of which turned out to be worth exactly less than fook all!

Propping up house prices that are already totally unaffordable is not an "investment" of tax money, it's propping up a bubble, which will ultimately end up popping and bringing down all that taxpayers "investment" with it.
    It's using tax income to help build new houses.

What's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
      Put interest-rates up NOW!! Anyone who can't handle BOE base rate at 3% is over-stretched and doesn't deserve much sympathy!
      Can I just remind you my overpriced BTL is mortgaged at 0.49% + base.

Now cough up and pay, my lifestyle on the continent does not pay itself you know
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        It's using tax income to help build new houses.

What's the problem?
        Maybe taxpayers are overstressed already?

If the government actually wanted to get the economy going (instead of helping their banker friends) they might try putting QE into tax cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Maybe taxpayers are overstressed already?

If the government actually wanted to get the economy going (instead of helping their banker friends) they might try putting QE into tax cuts.
          And then they would spend and the economy would recover, people could afford the deposit and mortgage payments and house prices would be sustained.

Giving their wealthy house builder friends tax payers money to make huge profits is morally wrong. They'll pocket a huge profit (registered offshore no doubt) and people will spend all their incomes paying for a house, with nothing left to spend on goods and services. The economy will continue to dive.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Propping up house prices that are already totally unaffordable is not an "investment" of tax money, it's propping up a bubble, which will ultimately end up popping and bringing down all that taxpayers "investment" with it.
            WDPS

It doesn't make much sense to me to spend taxpayers' money propping up inflated house prices, especially in bad times.

It's like downing a bottle of vodka to help you forget about your dodgy liver.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              It's like downing a bottle of vodka to help you forget about your dodgy liver.
              But that totally works.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think it is certainly a risk, but I cannot think of any other way to stimulate business in the UK at the moment. If they are going to do this it needs to be accompanied by getting rid of EU and labour (Tory even) imposed working regulations and other red tape. There also needs to be a culling of the public sector which should be forced to work in the interest of the British people rather than in the interests of the workers and the civil service. The 50% tax should be removed and even IR35 should be repealed.

Oh and recruitment agents should be knighted
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  But that totally works.
                  Good point, well made.

I was thinking slightly longer term than one day though!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

nutted

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      I think it is certainly a risk, but I cannot think of any other way to stimulate business in the UK at the moment. If they are going to do this it needs to be accompanied by getting rid of EU and labour (Tory even) imposed working regulations and other red tape. There also needs to be a culling of the public sector which should be forced to work in the interest of the British people rather than in the interests of the workers and the civil service. The 50% tax should be removed and even IR35 should be repealed.

What about a tax cut for businesses?

Comment

Working...
                      X