• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scrum Master v Project Manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just passed my ScrumMaster certification over the weekend. The only way to get the official certificate is to do the course. I needed the certificate as just having the experience is not always enough to get your CV in front of a client.

I usually do dev team leader or lead developer contracts and it's becoming more and more necessary to be able to work with the Scrum implementation of Agile as more and more people use a flavour of it these days.

Officially the ScrumMaster is responsible for the working of the Scrum process within the team and to ensure that the aspects of scrum are being adhered to correctly. He's supposed to be a facilitator and remove any blocking obstacles. Two of the reasons for the daily standup are to ensure transparency of any development and to ensure that the risk of the project falling behind is adequately managed.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
      I just passed my ScrumMaster certification over the weekend. The only way to get the official certificate is to do the course. I needed the certificate as just having the experience is not always enough to get your CV in front of a client.

I usually do dev team leader or lead developer contracts and it's becoming more and more necessary to be able to work with the Scrum implementation of Agile as more and more people use a flavour of it these days.

Officially the ScrumMaster is responsible for the working of the Scrum process within the team and to ensure that the aspects of scrum are being adhered to correctly. He's supposed to be a facilitator and remove any blocking obstacles. Two of the reasons for the daily standup are to ensure transparency of any development and to ensure that the risk of the project falling behind is adequately managed.
      Very interested in this course - can you share, or PM the trainer you used and the cost?

This lot are after a grand plus VAT........!!

Certified ScrumMaster Course

Comment

That's who I did it with. A grand was amongst the cheapest I found. Very good course. Plus they run a weekend one which made it a no-brainer.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          The standup is supposed to be a chance to see where you are with a project, not some cut-price blamestorming session. The scrum master should make sure it doesn't end up like that.
          True, but those who haven't accomplished much since the last stand up will avoid the next one to avoid having their lack of progress laid out for all to see. Which I think is what SpaceCadet was getting at.
          You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
            True, but those who haven't accomplished much since the last stand up will avoid the next one to avoid having their lack of progress laid out for all to see. Which I think is what SpaceCadet was getting at.
            Stand-ups are not optional. For a proper Agile enviroment, the whole room beats to the same drum - same hours, same lunch, same lunchtime girlfriend..... You are a family during the sprint. Quite literally.

Comment

thing is how many of us work on projects where you can get a dedicated dev/test team in that manner

normally you are getting some of a resource and this is where the daily stand up can be ardous - also imagine if you were working on more than 1 project you could end up with 3/4 daily standups.

I know the shortest time period in Agile is supposed to be a day but i think there needs to be realism around what is feasible or otherwise.

Wilmslow do you find daily standups give you a better appreciation of the teams velocity?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                thing is how many of us work on projects where you can get a dedicated dev/test team in that manner

normally you are getting some of a resource and this is where the daily stand up can be ardous - also imagine if you were working on more than 1 project you could end up with 3/4 daily standups.

I know the shortest time period in Agile is supposed to be a day but i think there needs to be realism around what is feasible or otherwise.

Wilmslow do you find daily standups give you a better appreciation of the teams velocity?
                Although you can use days the shortest\easiest time period in Agile is the Storypoint. Using storypoints is the easiest way to estimate accurate velocity and burndown. You can tell I just came off the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  Although you can use days the shortest\easiest time period in Agile is the Storypoint. Using storypoints is the easiest way to estimate accurate velocity and burndown. You can tell I just came off the course.
                  Does it work in practice? Last place I was at it was a complete failure in a Business Intelligence team. Seemed to work for the Java boys in another team tho'

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    The standup is supposed to be a chance to see where you are with a project, not some cut-price blamestorming session. The scrum master should make sure it doesn't end up like that.
                    Maybe I should have phrased that better

I do agree with you that the scrum is supposed to be about getting everyone up to date, resolving any immediate communication issues and making sure that no one is having to replicate work un-necessarily.

What I was trying to say is that it tends to be the more useless team members who complain the loudest about scrums.
                    The scrum also serves a purpose in reducing the amount of dis-information floating round the team as any exuses for not getting something finished on time can be sorted out and not left to fester.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
                      Does it work in practice? Last place I was at it was a complete failure in a Business Intelligence team. Seemed to work for the Java boys in another team tho'
                      No idea. I think if you can keep the team focused it stands a better chance of working.

Comment

Working...
                      X