• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The UK in turn owes hundreds of billions to Germany and Spain.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I can't be the only one thinking this??
    I asked myself the same question.

I don't get it.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

I don't get it.
      I assume it must include the sovereign debt that is owned by various private sector entities, i.e. US banks own X amount of UK govt debt, UK banks own X amount of US govt debt, etc.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I don't get it.
        I'm sure one of the resident 'experts' will enlighten us.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Now I'm really confused I thought it was the other way round.

BBC News - Eurozone debt web: Who owes what to whom?
          Jesus wept.

If you cannot understand that graph and what it represents ( even after several hours ) you really should keep your mouth shut and stop posting on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            mouth shut and stop posting on this subject.
            Der mouth has been closed ze whole time
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I've looked at that link a few times now but still don't understand how global finance works.

If 'A' owes 'B' £10 and 'B' owes 'A' £9 then it stands to reason that 'A' really owes 'B' £1 no?

I can't be the only one thinking this??
              The debts are mostly long term bonds and stuffs; you can't cash em in like lottery tickets you know....

Comment

It's all the external debt of government, banks and other companies, and individuals. It's held by all sorts of foreign institutions and individuals. So it's not a case of uk owes france x and vice versa but of tesco owes credit lyonnais owes lloyds owes deutsche bank owes a pension fund owes your granny.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well we've seen the blinds, I'm waiting for Germany to to say "all in" to the Euro hold'em contest and we can see who folds...
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    The debts are mostly long term bonds and stuffs; you can't cash em in like lottery tickets you know....
                    But none the less not as bad as the headlines try and make it seem.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X