• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Astra or Insignia…..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insignia is actually a far better visually appealing car from Vauxhall. Their other cars are utter crap looking.

For that reason, I would say go for Insignia. It had a good review on Top Gear too so you might even impress that project manager totty you been having problems with.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Insignia is actually a far better visually appealing car from Vauxhall. Their other cars are utter crap looking.

For that reason, I would say go for Insignia. It had a good review on Top Gear too so you might even impress that project manager totty you been having problems with.
      If only Zoidburg was here, he'd tell you what to get (apart from a Kia C'eed)
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I had a drive in the elite insignia, the sat nav included one. It had all the toys that it's possible to put on them. While it was nice, I still would have a Mondeo if I had to pick between the 2. But I wouldn't buy new. At the dealership on Chester Road (Old Trafford) they had some with delivery miles on the clock and they were thousands less than new ones. As others have said, buy a 3 year old car for 2/3rds of the price and if it breaks down after a year, you can still buy another knowing that you still only have paid 2/3rds of the price of a new one. New cars are a mugs game.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          If only Zoidburg was here, he'd tell you what to get (apart from a Kia C'eed)
          I miss him. His absence makes me glum
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Had to change down on the M4 in South Wales, I think it was a 1.3.......

Yep. Anything less than the VXR is designed to kill the driver and any offspring for being a moron and looking at the economy figures and how 'green' it is.

I often wonder is some dickhead driving at 40 on the motorway (and getting trucks nearly running over the top of them) is doing it by choice or if they're in a woefully underpowered car that seems all too common these days.

The only 'Vauxhall' worth buying is the VXR8. Seems a lot agree as the prices are still north of £15k a year after I started fantasising about it's 6 litre V8, despite high petrol prices and it averaging 20mpg at best.

Maybe it's just a good example of a depreciation static car so a canny buy if you can afford to keep it fed in petrol.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Astra Hatch 1.7cdti 125ps se ecoflex £21,719

Insignia Hatch 2.0cdti 130 exclusive ecoflex £21,729

Insignia costs 2p more per mile to run.

Can you afford that?
              £21k for an Astra!!!
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Insignia's got everything, Shampoo to shower gel, Deodorant and aftershave in one all-over smell, Now it's new Insignia — And it's all over now.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Yes. In my experience why buy new when you can get a 3 year old one with average miles for under £5k. Buying new is a hell of a price to pay for peace of mind with the warranty.
                  PAH makes a really good point. The few grand saving pays for a lot of repairs ...
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    The few grand saving pays for a lot of repairs ...

Most mainstream cars are pretty reliable these days anyway and you can get some absolute bargains for under 10k by the looks of things.

I must have had around 20 cars over the last 10-15 years (get bored with them and swap after a year or two at most, some after only a few months due to poor impulse buys ) and only had major problems with two of them, despite averaging over 20k miles annually until recently.

1. TVR Cerbera (They should come with a free AA tow truck. )

2. MG ZS (Cheap runaround, but ignored the dodgy K series engine that will go bang at some point, and it did. )

All other problems have been down to bad luck rather than poor reliability.

e.g. punctures, and a newish BMW 3 series overheating and splitting the coolant tank (on my birthday a few years ago while sat on the M25 car park on my way home for the weekend and 'on a promise' with a nice lass at the other end of the country that I had to cancel ) due to the fan seizing up after leaving it outside a mate's house while we went on holiday, not realising the workmen still building the estate down the road would cover it in dust/sand/grit.

Moral of the story: Even new cars can let you down just as easily as a two grand 'banger'. So save the money and get top notch AA membership that includes a hire car.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X