• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Spot the difference (it's 3mm)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Actually the height of the letters was only one issue. Apparnatly the contrast of red on black is supposed to be difficult for those with sight issues and the decenders on the letters were scrunched making them hard to distinguish. So while it is a good headline that these trains were being chopped due to the letters being 3mm too short, infact it is not the case. Oh that and the fact that they have had 7-8 years to correct the situation.
    That assumes they were aware of the issue. There seem to be so many rules and regulations that it can be a nightmare. I was talking to the head of a recruiting agency and he said that government regulations are costing a fortune in extra work costs.

Comment

In 2000 south west trains were granted an exemption untill 2004. They originally asked for

"Exemption is sought till 2015 as this is the predicted half-life refurbishment date for the class 458."

They got one to mid 2004, when they applied for an exemption again and got one up to 31st July 2006.

So in 2000 they were made aware of the issue and have had 6 years to put this right. They also state that the half life for the trains was not untill 2015. Presumably they only only have 6 months left on their lease.

This all looks like they wanted to avoid the cost and were playing the system to do so.

Yes I agree with others here that a non complient sign is better than no sign, but there has to be a standards put into the legislation and these have to be enforced, otherwise there is no point having the legislation in the first place.

"I mean, what's the point going on a day trip to Leed's Castle when you can't see the fekking thing, anyway ? "

My son quite enjoyed going around Edinburhg castle actually. Not everything is gained from sight. He enjoyed learning about the history of the place, yes he could have got that from a book but it means more if you can actualy feel the stones, climb the steps and smell the smells of the place. Obviously he prefers things like roller coasters to castles, but then so do most kids.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
        My son quite enjoyed going around Edinburhg castle actually. Not everything is gained from sight. He enjoyed learning about the history of the place, yes he could have got that from a book but it means more if you can actualy feel the stones, climb the steps and smell the smells of the place. Obviously he prefers things like roller coasters to castles, but then so do most kids.
        Lincoln Castle, and the cathedral, is well worth a visit if you're in the vicinity.

Oh and the roof tour of Lincoln cathedral starts at 2:00pm - We missed the fecking thing by five minutes when I visited with some friends last year!

Talking about smells, according to today's Sunday Telegraph the Tower of London plans to introduce "mediaevil" smells such as wood smoke and baking bread. But I doubt the result will be anything like what was probably the hellish reek of the place at the time in reality!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
        X