• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mongolia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies like Intrepid or Exodus have some trips specifically for the TSE. I have seen a lot more "upmarket" versions i.e. better trains (cox and kings or summat).

It's something I've wanted to do for years.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Companies like Intrepid or Exodus have some trips specifically for the TSE. I have seen a lot more "upmarket" versions i.e. better trains (cox and kings or summat).

It's something I've wanted to do for years.
      Same here, but everyone who has done it seems say the same thing - most of the time it is boring.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Having said that, the state of the Russian internal flights planes, take the train, take the train!!
        I've made a few internals on TU-154's. Canvas luggage racks floppy seats, like a 60s dormobile with wings bolted on. Safety record is a bit iffy to say the least. The Russian ministry of aviation demanded their complete withdrawl recently. Doesn't seem to have stopped anybody flying them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          I've made a few internals on TU-154's. Canvas luggage racks floppy seats, like a 60s dormobile with wings bolted on. Safety record is a bit iffy to say the least. The Russian ministry of aviation demanded their complete withdrawl recently. Doesn't seem to have stopped anybody flying them yet.
          I've been on a couple of those. One went up and down a lot, which was a bit un-nerving, but I suppose that's down to the pilot.

I enjoyed the lunch. A slice of bread and an apple. Could have been a potato I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            Me too! You have to pee bent backwards too if you are over 6 foot, cos of the curve of the fuselage and were they put the toilet.

Re: TSE always get a local to buy the tix, otherwise you'll be subject to the 'Westerner Tax', I think mine cost about $70 business class, sharing a two berth with a chap who got off at Miass...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I've been on a couple of those. One went up and down a lot, which was a bit un-nerving, but I suppose that's down to the pilot.

I enjoyed the lunch. A slice of bread and an apple. Could have been a potato I suppose.
              Am I right in thinking these planes are unpressurised? the ones I went on you could still see the ground quite clearly! and we landed on snow, softest landings ever!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Am I right in thinking these planes are unpressurised? the ones I went on you could still see the ground quite clearly! and we landed on snow, softest landings ever!
                They are pressurised. Ceiling is about 40,000ft. Although the safety record looks dire this is more to do with where they operate than inherent reliability issues.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Aye.
                  I've worked out that it's driveable from Moscow to UlanBator, but I need to know how easy it is to get around i.e. getting petrol, food, accomodation
                  will it be feasible ?
                  Would it be possible to get in and out in a day
                  whats the border crossing like ?
                  many English speakers ?

etc

Last winter some towns were snowed in for three months, when the temperature plunged to -70F and stayed there for weeks.

It's OK if you enjoy yak's milk and throat singing.

Have a good time
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X