• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to Belgium, hello and goodbye...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't you get this done in French?
    You must be in Flanders (eeuggh) (?)
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
      The Flemish follow Rules whilst the French work around them.

Best summed up by a remark I heard recently.

Dutch businessman in Rotterdam states that in Holland everything is possible but somehow nothing can be done.

His Belgian counterpart in Brussels states that here nothing is possible but somehow we shall make a deal .

Comment

I got around this at the last minute

They had my degree/application for seven months and told me it would take up to another six months to process since the degree paper was in Latin!

In the meantime the commune was making all these noises about not giving a five yr id card until the registration/tva number appeared and the temp id expired.

I eventually went round with a letter from the quasi-gov outfit who process the Independent applications to the effect that it was in progress plus details from the mutuelle showing I was registered for social taxes and had min legal health cover. In the end, I bored them into giving me the card even though I technically did not fit the criteria (no TVA number.) Having said that it was in Ixelles which has thirty percent 'other-eu' population.

They are trying it on with my gf now as she couldn't be arsed to go along and sort hers out around this time so both me and my two yr old have reseincy but she is technically illegal (but not working)

The BE gov has just had a ruling against it in the European Court for just this sort of crap as it makes a mockery of the whole EU freedom of thing. Countries do have the right to kick you out but basically only if you are a crim, a mental or otherwise a threat to the state.

Your problem might largely be due to living in a Felmish commune as they have an increasingly chippy attitude towards non vlaams of any persuasion.

Comment

This is b3lltulip

It kind of makes sense why all and sundry come to the UK, because nobody really has to put up with this kind cr@p. I would even think it may be easier in some cases for a non-EU national to stay in the UK than an UK-UE national to live in some other countries in the EU.

Really poor show by the Belgians considering that the HQ of the EU is actually located there. United Europe my @rse. Just more paper-work so more shiftless beaurocrats can take a slice of your hard earned dosh.
          There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
            Don't think it'd matter whether it was in French, Dutch or Chinese.

When I worked in Brussels years ago most of the people I met/worked with were in any case from the Flemish part.

What p*sses me off is the fact some tw*t with a degree in 'Belgian Tupperware' wouldn't have any problem setting up an IT consultancy tomorrow morning, while my 15+ years working for banks/insurance, the gov't (on EU projects no less) seems to count for b*gger all, and that having been paying taxes/social security et al for the last 18 months - "because this is you main place of residence" - apparently I "don't live here".

Joe in "seriously ******* p*ssed off" mode.

PS: yep, I have an appointment with a solicitor tomorrow first thing

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              The Flemish follow Rules whilst the French work around them.
              Would disagree, certainly given my experience where every Flemish man and his dog seem happy to break the rules when it suits them.

Joe in mode!

Originally posted by Rantor
              I eventually went round with a letter from the quasi-gov outfit who process the Independent applications to the effect that it was in progress plus details from the mutuelle showing I was registered for social taxes and had min legal health cover.
              Rantor, are you refering to the guichet/loket?
              Last edited by Joe Black; 26 April 2006, 15:10.

Comment

What you need is Charles Clarke heading up their immigration department.

Comment

Guichet at the commune's Bureau d'Etrangers

...armed with the letter from Quick Start, the chuckle-inducingly named org I used to process my application. I got my accountant to wheedle thisout of them.

I also had proof that I was paying social taxes (no TVA number so no income taxes paid at that stage) plus the SIS card thingy proving that I had medical cover.

If you are working thorugh a management company in Belgium, you will probably have a well-connected accountant who may be able to talk to some people. I know mine proved invaluable and stopped me from going down to the commune without being prepared.

Comment

belgium

What p*sses me off is the fact some tw*t with a degree in 'Belgian Tupperware' wouldn't have any problem setting up an IT consultancy tomorrow morning, while my 15+ years working for banks/insurance, the gov't (on EU projects no less) seems to count for b*gger all, and that having been paying taxes/social security et al for the last 18 months - "because this is you main place of residence" - apparently I "don't live here".
                    there is not much difference between IT and stacking tupperwares. every it contractor does it one day.
                    apparently belgium does not want to hear about illegal immigrants, especially from the other side of the channel.

Comment

Thanks Rantor.

Going to discuss this with a solicitor tomorrow, very keen chappy as I should know since his office is just across the road and come Xmas, New Year, whatever you'd see him working until late at night. Seems to think this sort of thing should be got into the papers, which while part of me thinks yep, hammer the b*stards every which way come Sunday, another part wonders what affect that might have on future employment prospects...

Anyway been doing a bit of Google-ling and found this (the wonders of the internet!):

ruling against belgium deportation of eu nationals

summary:

Judgment

1 By its application, the Commission of the European Communities asks the Court to declare that:

– by making the right of residence of citizens of the European Union subject to the requirement that they have sufficient personal resources, the Kingdom of Belgium has failed to fulfil its obligations under Article 18 EC and Council Directive 90/364/EEC of 28 June 1990 on the right of residence (OJ 1990 L 180, p. 26),

by making provision for automatic service of an order to leave Belgian territory on citizens of the Union who do not produce within the prescribed period the documents required to obtain a residence permit, the Kingdom of Belgium has failed to fulfil its obligations under Article 2 of Directive 90/364, Article 4 of Council Directive 68/360/EEC of 15 October 1968 on the abolition of restrictions on movement and residence within the Community for workers of Member States and their families (OJ, English Special Edition 1968 (II), p. 485), Article 4 of Council Directive 73/148/EEC of 21 May 1973 on the abolition of restrictions on movement and residence within the Community for nationals of Member States with regard to establishment and the provision of services (OJ 1973 L 172, p. 14), Article 2 of Council Directive 93/96/EEC of 29 October 1993 on the right of residence for students (OJ 1993 L 317, p. 59) and Article 2 of Council Directive 90/365/EEC of 28 June 1990 on the right of residence for employees and self-employed persons who have ceased their occupational activity (OJ 1990 L 180, p. 28).
                      Last edited by Joe Black; 26 April 2006, 17:58.

Comment

Working...
                      X