• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bleeding Public Sector Workers!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I am not complaining about people who are rewarded for doing a good job, or who are attracted into a job by good remuneration; I agree that good salaries and bonusses are a part of how you hire talented people.

I do object however, to failure bonusses, and to the hubris of those who consider themselves so vastly superior that they threaten to move the HQ of a business they do not own, not for the good of that business, but for their own ego or bank account.
    That maybe true but that isn't what this is about.

It's about public sector workers pleading poverty and demanding they be insulated from the effects of the UK's debt problems, when they are in fact much better off than private sector workers who are already suffering.

Rich directors and investment bankers are a red herring. They are not typical of private sector workers, a point that the current public sector advocates can't seem to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      IIRC, you don't actually HAVE any children. So your take on this is about as valid as your beliefs in your imaginary deities. Best take a step back from your ill-informed speculation, before you make yourself look even more stupid than you customarily do with such predictable regularity.

Ummm, I don't see how having or not having children affects someone's ability to make statements about or analyse numbers of households with children.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Ummm, I don't see how having or not having children affects someone's ability to make statements about or analyse numbers of households with children.
        Well d00fus was making the point that a teachers strike automatically results in lost invoicing days. I was making the point, as someone that has both considerable experience of contracting AND having kids, that there are ways and means around this that need not result in lost invoicing time.
        These are things I have picked up through personal experience, as opposed to the vapourous speculation of our resident god-botherer.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

It's about public sector workers pleading poverty and demanding they be insulated from the effects of the UK's debt problems, when they are in fact much better off than private sector workers who are already suffering.

Rich directors and investment bankers are a red herring. They are not typical of private sector workers, a point that the current public sector advocates can't seem to grasp.
          No you see rich directors and investment bankers should be a red herring, but aren't percieved as a red herring and won't be percieved that way while they seem insulated from the consequences of economic problems that are being felt by many other people. I think it's important and part of the job for directors to consider the effects of their decisions on the goodwill of the society in which a business operates; that's because when they lose that goodwill, the public start demanding regulation and political action that can be very disadvantageous to the business concerned, and thereby disadvantageous to the owners of that business. OK, so the owners are often short term speculators, but many of them are also long term shareholders with a stake in the long term health of the business.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This started with a quote from the institute of directors. So it's absolutely about them. It's these people, not the public sector, who keep wages artificially low for the majority while giving themselves 40% payrises and in this case the red herring is them diverting attention from their own excesses to the demands of public sector workers.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              This started with a quote from the institute of directors. So it's absolutely about them. It's these people, not the public sector, who keep wages artificially low for the majority while giving themselves 40% payrises and in this case the red herring is them diverting attention from their own excesses to the demands of public sector workers.
              I see the point you are making doodab. Of all the people to be championing this, it is hugely hypocritical of the IOD to be so vocal for all the reasons you cite.
              However, from my perspective, I don't really care who it is that flags up the selfishness of these overpaid underachieving Public Sector charlatans. I only hope that many more bodies take up the mantle, and also loudly proclaim just what a bunch of greedy, unrealistic, self-serving twats so many of these gold-plated feckers are.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Well no, that depends on your viewpoint. Are you saying their opinion on this is therefore not valid?

Most contractors are directors, they earn more than most public sector workers and they arrange their finances favourably to themselves - does that mean we cannot voice it either? At what point do you draw the line?

If my doctor diagnoses me with liver disease, I wouldn't ignore him, turn on him, and even blame him because he himself drinks like a fish. His drinking habits are a red herring as far as my health is concerned.

Comment

Well no, that depends on your viewpoint. Are you saying their opinion on this is therefore not valid?

Most contractors are directors, they earn more than most public sector workers and they arrange their finances favourably to themselves - does that mean we cannot voice it either? At what point do you draw the line?

If my doctor diagnoses me with liver disease, I wouldn't ignore him, turn on him, and even blame him because he himself drinks like a fish. His drinking habits are a red herring as far as my health is concerned.
                  Good points well made!!

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:19.

Comment

This is exactly the sort of scaremongering that's obscuring many of the often sensible arguments the banking community have in their favour. It seems a lot of the less thoughtful city drones have absorbed this line of argument without subjecting it to any criticism whatsover. We're never going to "lose banking" in that sense, even if the whole industry were to move overseas (which isn't going to happen) banking services would still be available to the wider economy, and a reduction in the size of the banking sector relative to the rest of the economy would have a lot of benefits like not being overly reliant on a single sector, a wider variety of interesting and well paid careers for a better educated population, and less overcrowding on the bank branch of the northern line.

It seems to me that if there were that much "top talent" working in the financial services sector then, being "top talent" it would by definition be able to turn it's hand to something else. Unless of course it turns out that this "talent" consists primarily of vapid hair gelled wide boys who's only talent is persuading stupid people to get into vast amounts of debt and old ladies to hand over their life savings for useless investments. Now, I know that it isn't the case because many of my friends work in banks and most of them are bald, so I think the UK is well placed to turn away from banking as the backbone of it's economy, and it's probably no bad thing if it does.
                      What a massive pile of utter pish. I love it when people who can't do maths recycle the crap they read in the press.

The financial services sector is 10% of GDP, less than the manufacturing sector.

The myth of Britain's manufacturing decline ? The Register

You, sir, are a moron of the first order.
                      HTH, BIDI
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X