• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Petrol Stations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Just two or more points:

- why no putting the octane levels on the pumps? My car takes 98 octane yet the petrol available is either 97 or has a silly name like Ultimate
    - why can't you put the pump in the tank, start pumping and fix it with a little lever so you can go off and wash your windscreen instead of having to stand there holding it all the time?
    - why do you have to ask for a VAT receipt? Why can't it all be on one receipt?
    - if you are not buying anything in the shop why don't people use the pay @ the pump? Instead they prefer to go inside and queue thus holding everything up!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      why do you have to ask for a VAT receipt? Why can't it all be on one receipt?
      The funny thing about that to me is, where are the petrol stations that sell without VAT? If there were one id use that instead of expensing it.

Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
      - if you are not buying anything in the shop why don't people use the pay @ the pump? Instead they prefer to go inside and queue thus holding everything up!
      Because a vast majority of people are stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        The funny thing about that to me is, where are the petrol stations that sell without VAT? If there were one id use that instead of expensing it.
        Northern Ireland
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

My local Sainsbury's has just moved the petrol station to be nearer the main road yet the didn't install any pay at the pumps, I asked why and was told their customers prefer to pay at the kiosk.

I now use Morrisons.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            you know what I find really annoying - when you are waiting to fill up your car and the muppet at the pump has decided to do their weekly shop in the petrol station - I mean by all means by a packect of fags or even rush and get some milk but don't spend 20 minutes mincing around

pointless ignorant feckers

I had that once. I went for a Sunday morning fill up and had to queue for about 15 minutes to pay. They really should have had a till for pump only customers.

During that time my car was clogging up the pumps, so the next time I did the Sunday morning fill up I pulled the car off the pumps before paying, feeling the considerate citizen and all that.

I got back to the car to find a very annoyed McDonalds manager screaming at me.

Non stop screaming.

In German.

Make that bad German with an awful accent.

He wouldn't shut up, even after I'd apologised and promised not to park in front of his shop again.

I took my time moving the car, simply to annoy him further

After that experience I made sure I didn't fill up at that petrol station on a Sunday unless I was also going to raid the supermarket section.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              When I was a kid I worked on a garage forecourt using the petrol pumps doing that (err...approx 35 years ago...). Used to have to check the oil, water and tyres as well (cars were less reliable then). We had the locks on the pumps to keep them pumping as well. I used to be able to stop the pump dead on exactly the right price or number of gallons. Sadly these days the prices move too fast.
              I did a stint of that straight after college when I was looking for a proper job, and got to drive some nice cars as well. You are right about the pumps and it was easy to serve several customers at a time, especially when a couple of trucks wanting 60 odd gallons apeice pulled onto the diesel section.

It changed in the 80s and 90s though. The oil companies were screwing the small garage owners so much that there wasn't much money in it unless you put a supermarket and bakery on the premises. One local chap was under such pressure from the bank in the recession of the early nineties that he packed it in and told them to run the business themselves. Needless to say it was taken over by the big boys. No confilct of interest there, then.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                My local Sainsbury's has just moved the petrol station to be nearer the main road yet the didn't install any pay at the pumps, I asked why and was told their customers prefer to pay at the kiosk.

I now use Morrisons.
                Odd thing that. When I was at college there were pay pumps which took cash and that was handy for spontaneous trips to the coast to see dawn, but they disappeared shortly after.

I next came across them in Switzerland and was struggling to fathom out how they worked. The kind chap who helped me told me I was an idiot for not knowing how they worked, for every country has them. "Not in the UK" I informed him. I'm taliking cash here, not plastic.

Comment

I sometimes pay in the kiosk for the hell of it. Usually depends how attractive the girl working the till appears when viewed from the forecourt
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I now use Morrisons.
                    The reason they do not like pay at pump is because it decreases sales of other goods, if you pay at the pump you are unlikely to make any spontanious purchases

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                      The reason they do not like pay at pump is because it decreases sales of other goods, if you pay at the pump you are unlikely to make any spontanious purchases
                      That's true. I remember my local newsagent stopping home deliveries, and far from losing trade, his turnover went up due to the same effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X