• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance - Mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wim121 View Post

Doesnt matter when you're out and about. At home, do you park on a drive or the street most of the time? If you have a drive, even if you dont park on it all the time just select driveway.
    Definitely don't do that as the insurer will use it as an excuse to not pay out if some vehicle damages your car if it's parked on the road outside your house.

Funny thing is that due to increased car security more cars are stolen from driveways as burglars/car thieves know which house to get the keys from. Therefore parking on the street in some areas may reduce your premium.

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
    If you need tips on brokers/companies to approach, ways to tweak policies/quotes to get the best price, just let me know as I have a bit of experience in that regard.
    1. Play around with your job title - as long as you aren't clearly telling porkies it's legal. (Ask a thicker mate/family member if you can be described as the title if you aren't sure.)
    2. Put your partner on your insurance and let them drive the car twice a year.
    3. Play around with your excess particularly if your car is old. As you may find comprehensive insurance with a massive excess is cheaper than TPFT.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And how exactly do they check how many miles you've done?

they dont ask you mileage at the start of the policy. Surely only way would be to check MOT certificates but they're unlikely to prove anything unless they're from same date as insurance started.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        And how exactly do they check how many miles you've done?

they dont ask you mileage at the start of the policy. Surely only way would be to check MOT certificates but they're unlikely to prove anything unless they're from same date as insurance started.
        For my every day insurance, they don't, but if I wrote the car off, I suspect they would ask for service and MOT records etc. and then refuse to pay if the mileage I'd done was wildly different from my estimate.

For my Classic which has a limited mileage, they do ask me how many miles I've done each year.

Comment

Working...
        X