• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic bread recipe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I was making a pizza base, for which the prices have recently gone stratospheric. Used to be something like 2 for 50p and are now £1, and they go dry quickly in the fridge. They don't take long to make, although I didn't give mine much time to rise when I made one yesterday and the result wasn't fluffy. Wasn't ill though, so a result. Takes almost as long to walk to the shops.

Bread next.
    Thin, plain naan bread makes an excellent pizza base (our local Asian shop sell packs of three bigger-than-a-dinner-plate sized ones for about £1.50).
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      I prefer mass over volume too as it's easier to measure, and definitely want unit consistency, not a mixture of pounds, grammes and cups. Anyone got a link?
      1 cup in ounces

8 ounces in grams
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        You do need to be careful typing one cup into google at work though.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yummy

Made a small loaf. Hot, soft and fluffy inside and crusty on the outside. Tasted pretty good, despite my using 52p/1.5kg flour. I had it with some meat slices and finished with jam.

Cost:
          5p Flour (150g, or 1/10th packet)
          10p Leccie (guess, 3/4 hour on lowish leccie setting)
          5p Butter, jam (small amount)
          10p Meat
          30p Total

I also made some cake mix the other day, but didn't cook it.

Comment

Dill Bread

500g Strong White Flour
            1 tsp Dry Fast Action Yeast
            2 tsp Sugar
            1.5 tsp Salt
            350ml water
            20g of chopped Dill.

Mix the above ingredients and add the Dill.
            You then knead the Dill Dough.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X