• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

European politicians plot to block UK veto on 'Tobin tax'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I knew you were stupid but did not know your brain in incapable even of simple forward calculations.
    Nope, reread it and you've lost me there. I indeed must be stupid.

Interesting that's the point you choose to quote, for me it was a throw away line, not meant to be taken too seriously. On the other hand HFT trading has put a few 000's in my bank account in times gone by, so not complaining.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Nope, reread it and you've lost me there. I indeed must be stupid.

Interesting that's the point you choose to quote, for me it was a throw away line, not meant to be taken too seriously. On the other hand HFT trading has put a few 000's in my bank account in times gone by, so not complaining.
      I thought you were a Scot!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        I thought you were a Scot!
        You've got your POM's mixed up there mate, it's you lot that spend a lifetime whinging about stuff

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

You've got your POM's mixed up there mate, it's you lot that spend a lifetime whinging about stuff
          Somehow I thought you'd be bigger!

Comment

Somehow I thought you'd be bigger!
            What, than you? That can't be a common occurrence, shirley.

Comment

On the other hand HFT trading has put a few 000's in my bank account in times gone by, so not complaining.
              Yes you put a few grand in your pocket but on the other hand market speculators took far more from it thanks to increased prices of all commodities.

Comment

Yes you put a few grand in your pocket but on the other hand market speculators took far more from it thanks to increased prices of all commodities.
                Bit of a tenous link AtW. HFT is to blame higher commodity prices ... Got nowt to do with the rise of emerging markets and increased demands for limited resources (commodities) then ... you really do live in a simple world, full of good guys (Commies) and bad guys (Capitalist pigs).

They don't hang around long enough to increase prices over the long term, they're in and out in a flash - hence the description 'high frequency'.

Comment

Bit of a tenous link AtW. HFT is to blame higher commodity prices ... Got nowt to do with the rise of emerging markets and increased demands for limited resources (commodities) then ...
                  Chart of oil price below

Can you explain to me how exactly your emerging markets got price of oil to $150, then down to $30 and then back to $120 and now it is going back down again?

HFT is just an extreme example of where general speculation moved into - not content with f***ing people over once in a while they want to do that frequently.

Instead of investing money to get cure for cancer or new space engines we have situation where hot money grow bubbles that tax people pockets massively via increased prices.

All this printed money could go into commodities to make everyones lifes more expensive, or HFT of whatever causes volatility to make money out of pockets of genuine investors OR maybe if they could not do that they'd have to invest into companies that create jobs and products that are actually useful.

Comment

where hot money grow bubbles that tax people pockets massively via increased prices.
                    That was a clue in Sunday's Times crossword!

Comment

That was a clue in Sunday's Times crossword!
                      Is the answer Cowabunga?
                      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Working...
                      X