• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

80mph Limit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The speed limit is a bit pointless. What is really needed is a commitment to safe driving.
    All the articles on this subject quote an AA (or is it RAC) chap saying modern cars at a safe distance at 80 are better than too close in the wet at 50.

I drive on limit free motorways in Germany. There are good days and bad days, good drivers and bad drivers. I have been passed by a Ferrari at full tilt and felt it was perfectly safe and have been tailgated by a Polo who clearly had no clue.

It is not about the speed limit.
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Just a cash strapped governments ploy to raise more revenue from the motorists

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

That graph goes back up after the 75 mark due to the slipstreaming effect.

Another example of F1 benefits filtering down to the motorist.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I think 80 is more realistic, but then I'm not one of the poor sods that will have to sweep up the mess caused by my final accident when I eventually have it...

There has been a worrying trend on the M4 of bods doing 65 in the middle lane to try and improve fuel economy.
          This is a road that regularly has guys doing well over a 100 in the outside lane.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            I think 80 is more realistic, but then I'm not one of the poor sods that will have to sweep up the mess caused by my final accident when I eventually have it...

There has been a worrying trend on the M4 of bods doing 65 in the middle lane to try and improve fuel economy.
            This is a road that regularly has guys doing well over a 100 in the outside lane.
            it's not just the M4 and it's not recent!

and it's not the middle lane either
            its lane n-1 where n = the number of lanes on the motorway
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              That graph goes back up after the 75 mark due to the slipstreaming effect.

Another example of F1 benefits filtering down to the motorist.
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                interesting (if true) as I see a lot of these being hammered at 90mph on the motorways.
                I've a feeling they are being handed out instead of the usual 3 series
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

A car going at 80 has 30% more energy stored than a car going at 70.

It is not the moving that is the problem, it is the stopping.

Comment

It's pointless as most people drive at 80 anyway, and the Police do nothing until at least 85mph.
                    Raising the limit will probably just lead to more traffic Jams as everyone feel compelled to do at least 80mph and more will think a ton plus is OK.

So that's the economic argument gone. Plus it is likely to lead to more accidents.

Would be better to make it so 70mph is possible more often.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Higher speed will use up more fuel, which in turn make more tax revenues for the Govt - no brainer really.

Comment

Working...
                      X