• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Germany wakes up to the fry-up as British cuisine takes off in Berlin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    There have been several attempts but it seems the (undeserved) reputation of British food is difficult to over come and all have gone bust. I believe there is currently a pie shop in the Ostbahnhof.
    The Brits all think a chippy is a good idea (which it is), but the Brits wont use it often enough to keep it going and the Germans are reluctant to try it.
    Every single German who has tried British food that I know has told me that it is wonderful but their friends laugh when they suggest trying it.
    Same with the Dutch; those who've never been to Britain or last went 30 years ago think British food is awful, those who've been recently say Britain's a better place to go out for dinner than France. Interesting to see that the best Dutch chefs all have copies of British chefs books on their shelves and have embraced the whole nose to tail philosophy.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
      As for the British food outlets in Munich idea: There have been several attempts but it seems the (undeserved) reputation of British food is difficult to over come and all have gone bust. I believe there is currently a pie shop in the Ostbahnhof.
      In the centre of Munich by the farmers market (the Viktualienmarktof) you've got The Victorian House 1438 - The Victorian House 1438

Any time you need a cream tea or a yourshire pud it's the place to go. We've tried walking in for a table on two occasions only to be welcomed by a full house. Reservations are must.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

They did ban our beef for years despite having no reason to.

Their sprouts killed 30 people in one summer.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          In the centre of Munich by the farmers market (the Viktualienmarktof) you've got The Victorian House 1438 - The Victorian House 1438

Any time you need a cream tea or a yourshire pud it's the place to go. We've tried walking in for a table on two occasions only to be welcomed by a full house. Reservations are must.
          VH has a couple of highlights, but it is generally not British food (even when described as such). The British stuff it does do is a tad on the expensive side.
          Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

There's a British fish 'n' chip place in Bonn. One of my locals does fish 'n' chips about every 6 weeks, pretty darn good actually.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I've spent a ******* long time working all over Germany and have never really had problems. The last 7-8 years I have spent more time in hotels than at home ranging from corporate chains to local hostelries and so far have found that smaller chains and the locals are much better than the large US corporates however service in nearly all of them has been good. I tend not to eat in hotels anyway as most hotels are not too brilliant when it comes to food. Some of the best to stay are small inns where you're going to get a good welcome and not only will the food will be locally sourced and the portions MTT sized but also very good. Personally whenever I go back to England I find the hotels are overpriced, unfriendly and the service not exactly brilliant and I have had to complain numerous times about that.

As for Bonn, I worked there for just over 6 months and although I tended to stay in one particular hotel I tried some of the others. Those in the town center tend to be small family run joints for tourists and I will admit a couple were not too brilliant but I used to stay at the Hilton which is directly on the Rhine and always got a room overlooking the river, with balcony, full cooked breakfast and always around the €100 mark.
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
              X