• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property better than gold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    I hardly think you can compare the capiatal cities of small homogenous countries to global centres like London Paris or Berlin or New York
    Some would find the former stiflingly provincial. All depends on your personality and interests..
    Many of the smaller capitals are also global centres of something or other, the difference is that they don't have an extra 6-7 million bodies clogging the place up and dragging the standard of living down. I'm not sure I would count Berlin as a "global centre" either, Frankfurt or Munich are both streets ahead in that regard.

It's odd how well Tokyo copes with such a high population density. I wouldn't mind a stint as an expat there.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Buying in a good area of London is the ultimate no-brainer, relaxing, sure-fire investment, as it has been for centuries.
      Especially in 1666.

Factor in a few major plagues and situation ain't as rosy as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        It's odd how well Tokyo copes with such a high population density.
        Have you seen size of Japanese rooms? It's not for everyone.

Comment

It's odd how well Tokyo copes with such a high population density..
          No it's not. Cultural homogeneity and close adherence to cultural norms.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Have you seen size of Japanese rooms? It's not for everyone.
            There is that.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Especially in 1666.

Factor in a few major plagues and situation ain't as rosy as it seems.
              I think you're in the wrong thread. You should be posting in "Rental Bedsits in dirty Northern tulipholes" thread
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

And like I say if you bought in London at any point in the medium or distant past you can live anywhere you want in the world, in the best areas.
                While you are correct, the thing you seem to miss is that in order to buy in a nice area one needed to be fairly well to do which of course means one could have lived anywhere in the world in a good area whether they bought in London or not.

For most people London is far too overcrowded and expensive to get the best out of it and even if one is already quite rich to start with it's not the best choice for most of those who want to do more with their life than boast about the value of their house. Like you said, it depends on your personality and interests.
                Last edited by doodab; 9 September 2011, 12:50.

Comment

While you are correct, the thing you seem to miss is that in order to buy in a nice area one needed to be fairly well to do which of course means one could have lived anywhere in the world in a good area whether they bought in London or not.

For most people London is far too overcrowded and expensive to get the best out of it and even if one is already quite rich to start with it's not the best choice for most of those who want to do more with their life than boast about the value of their house. Like you said, it depends on your personality and interests.
                  Not true. You lack imagination, like all IT bods.
                  For example I have a paid-for house worth more than 1 million, but I started from scratch not much more than 15 years ago.

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not true. You lack imagination, like all IT bods.
                    For example I have a paid-for house worth more than 1 million, but I started from scratch not much more than 15 years ago.
                    HTH
                    Ah, so you ARE a social climber!

Urrghh, how very arriviste.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Ah, so you ARE a social climber!

Urrghh, how very arriviste.
                      Not really, poly boy, I was impoverished aristocracy.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X