• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best GPS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    You can export them to KML and then load them into an android app called MyTracks I think.
    Yep, now that I've bought a GPS I've started looking into stuff like this. In Google Earth you are able to save paths/tracks locally as .KML, or .KMZ files, with the former being an easy to view XML file. And it's just as easy to upload tracks into Google Earth to share with others.

I might have to consider buying the data cable(s) for my Garwin when it arrives, as up/downloading tracks is going to be a heck of a lot faster than punching them in manually on the device. £20 though

A nice little feature of Google Earth is that you can select an existing, or plot a new, path and right click on it to view an elevation profile and statistics for the route. One of many nice features in Google Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Yep, now that I've bought a GPS I've started looking into stuff like this. In Google Earth you are able to save paths/tracks locally as .KML, or .KMZ files, with the former being an easy to view XML file. And it's just as easy to upload tracks into Google Earth to share with others.

I might have to consider buying the data cable(s) for my Garwin when it arrives, as up/downloading tracks is going to be a heck of a lot faster than punching them in manually on the device. £20 though

A nice little feature of Google Earth is that you can select an existing, or plot a new, path and right click on it to view an elevation profile and statistics for the route. One of many nice features in Google Earth.
      Which one did you buy and how much?

I am looking for one so that I can map out some land (abroad ) that has been encroached by neighbours.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        land (abroad ) that has been encroached by neighbours.
        Impressive. Is your neighbour able to create other natural disasters as well?
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Which one did you buy and how much?

I am looking for one so that I can map out some land (abroad ) that has been encroached by neighbours.
          I bought the cheapest most basic model: Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator from Amazon, £76.

It's arrived (this morning) already! Seems to work great indoors (high sensitivity).

You might want to go at least 1 model up from mine (next model up is twice the price of mine IIRC). You could do it with my model I expect, but you'd need to buy a data cable (~£20) to be able to transfer the path to a PC.

Can't yo do it with Google Earth, and save yourself buying a GPS?

Happy with mine so far though, off to try it outside...

Comment

I bought the cheapest most basic model: Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator from Amazon, £76.

It's arrived (this morning) already! Seems to work great indoors (high sensitivity).

You might want to go at least 1 model up from mine (next model up is twice the price of mine IIRC). You could do it with my model I expect, but you'd need to buy a data cable (~£20) to be able to transfer the path to a PC.

Can't yo do it with Google Earth, and save yourself buying a GPS?

Happy with mine so far though, off to try it outside...
            Google Earth is not very detailed all over the World like it is in the UK.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Google Earth is not very detailed all over the World like it is in the UK.
              True. Getting there though: Google begins Amazon river Street View project

Comment

Well it all seems to work. Seemingly good accuracy; a stored way-point showing where I was in Google Maps. I also found a geocache, containing a 1 dollar note and a few other odds and ends including a notebook containing hundreds of little messages.

Comment

Right, am happy with the basics (used it a lot today), but I need a darn data cable to avoid a lot of button presses and the one Garwin sell is horribly expensive.

A home-made Garmin eTrex data cable

Aint got an old serial mouse, but my old PC does have a serial port.

Hmm, ingenious

Comment

I've made a nice connector for the Garmin that I think should work nicely, but making a connection with a serial port on a PC is turning out to be more problematic.

note: these are smaller and fiddlier in real-life than in the picture above, with closely distanced pins surrounded by a conductive edge.

Not sure how the chap in the video got his working, his wires seem to be loose.

Hmm, any clever ideas for ways of connecting 3 wires to a serial port? (I haven't got an old connector handy). Ideally using only household materials. Once I've done that I've to get the COM port working too, which apparently can be a PITA.

Comment

I've made a nice connector for the Garmin that I think should work nicely, but making a connection with a serial port on a PC is turning out to be more problematic.

note: these are smaller and fiddlier in real-life than in the picture above, with closely distanced pins surrounded by a conductive edge.

Not sure how the chap in the video got his working, his wires seem to be loose.

Hmm, any clever ideas for ways of connecting 3 wires to a serial port? (I haven't got an old connector handy). Ideally using only household materials. Once I've done that I've to get the COM port working too, which apparently can be a PITA.

£1,99 inc postage

2x DB9 9 Pin D Sub Male & Female Solder Connector Plug | eBay

Comment

Working...
                      X