• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best GPS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Good luck.

You'll ******* need it!

"Don't worry kids, it's only a little straight line on this map!"
    First thing I do is pick up a tourist map from the Tourist office when on holiday, which works less than ideally. Plus a bit of Google mapping before hand. Annoyingly Google maps are too big to transfer on to the iPod Touch at sufficient detail.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      First thing I do is pick up a tourist map from the Tourist office when on holiday, which works less than ideally. Plus a bit of Google mapping before hand. Annoyingly Google maps are too big to transfer on to the iPod Touch at sufficient detail.
      Have fun. From what you've posted you're a disaster waiting to happen. I hope you donate generously to Mountain Rescue.

Comment

and to sara

Milan.

Comment

Have fun. From what you've posted you're a disaster waiting to happen. I hope you donate generously to Mountain Rescue.
          I'm not navigating the Orinoco or climbing K2.

Comment

I'm not navigating the Orinoco or climbing K2.
            You'll be fine with a pair of flip-flops and a map from "Little Chef" then, sorted.

Comment

You'll be fine with a pair of flip-flops and a map from "Little Chef" then, sorted.
              You can keep the flip-flops.

Comment

Ordnance survey maps have all the info you'd need.

GPS? Unless you're in the middle of a featureless desert what's the point?
                If you are in the middle of Dartmoor on a foggy night you will get lost even with an OS map.

In order to get a fix on a position you will need at leased to line of sight fixed points in order to triangulate.

Big and expensive? I only need something basic. A step up from a compass I got in a Christmas cracker.

Most suitable found so far seems to be this:

ChannelGoods Portable Mini GPS with Keychain for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

But only has two reviews, one says it's tulip and the other says it's great.

I would not go for something that small because:

(a) Battery size.
                (b) Battery life.
                (c) Sensitivity would be poor under trees when wet.

You need a proper hand held one that takes AA batteries and it should be waterproof.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Got a Navigon with a 6"x4" screen. Bit bulky but once stuck on the windscreen, having a large display is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I would not go for something that small because:

(a) Battery size.
                    (b) Battery life.
                    (c) Sensitivity would be poor under trees when wet.

You need a proper hand held one that takes AA batteries and it should be waterproof.
                    Good points. I noticed that battery life was only 6 hours for that unit. Not good. Not sure if I can be arsed to carry something big around.

Comment

Garmin eTrex.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X