• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice Doomed article by Telegraph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    If you're going to "invest" then buy shares in companies and industries that you know about. Do some research instead of being a sheep.
    Oh, I know the shares and markets I'm interested in and I'm happy to go my own way on these. For example, I generally avoid tech stocks for long term holds (>10 years) as too many have gone bang and developments mean that today's market darling might be tomorrow's Nortel Networks. Very subjective assessments of shares but then it's my future I'm gambling on

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Average into the market over a period of time. If you're investing for the longer term then this would be a more appropriate way to get into the market and not risk it in one big hit
      I understand your point but this is extra money I'm investing above and beyond my usual investments so I'm after the biggest bargain I can get. No point chucking money away if I can get the shares cheaper. My normal investing window is around the start of the tax year when I try to wedge as much as I can into tax efficient stuff and see what I can get that I think is underpriced.

Edit: that said, I have made some stupid investments. I have some Eurotunnel share certificates somewhere and I keep my Railtrack share certificate prominently placed to make me very careful over investing in something that's too good to be true.
      Last edited by craig1; 25 August 2011, 13:07.

Comment

Working...
      X