• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do if you are diagnosed with cancer and only have 3 months to live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    I thought you could get unlicensed medicine prescribed privately?

GMC | Good practice in prescribing medicines - guidance for doctors
    Obviously you can't if you are mass murderer, ask the Libyan bomber.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
      I thought you could get unlicensed medicine prescribed privately?
      Try and get an NHS doctor to do that.

A completely private doctor might, but most private doctors also work in the NHS and don't want to be struck off or sued.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Try and get an NHS doctor to do that.

A completely private doctor might, but most private doctors also work in the NHS and don't want to be struck off or sued.
        That's why I said privately, I'm guessing it would be a hoot getting it out of the NHS. I take your point about being sued/struck off etc. I just always thought it was possible (no matter how slim).
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Interesting bit in the next paragraph:

19. You may prescribe medicines for purposes for which they are not licensed. Although there are a number of circumstances in which this may arise, it is likely to occur most frequently in prescribing for children. Currently pharmaceutical companies do not usually test their medicines on children and as a consequence, cannot apply to license their medicines for use in the treatment of children. The use of medicines that have been licensed for adults, but not for children, is often necessary in paediatric practice.
          I wonder how common it is in paediatric practice.
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Obviously you can't if you are mass murderer, ask the Libyan bomber.
            I read that sentence and I think AtW.

Comment

Right I got the lowdown on all of this and it is hardly the way the papers are presenting it.

The drug was discovered in the UK, yes that is right dim, UK doctors discovered it.

The drug Vs placebo survival times are 14.8 to 11.2 so it is hardly a wonder drug as made out by this Professor and the course costs 40,000 dollars.

Now why would a doctor be pushing this drug as the reason for his survival when he does not know what medication the guy is on? He was not slow to mention the drug name and mention that it is not approved here. I am not saying much more than that.

As usual dim you pick up the first thing you read and run with it without checking the facts ya moron.

(Incognito, if the drug is not approved the chemists cannot hold it so nobody can prescribe it on the NHS or privately)

Comment

Working...
              X