• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hedgelaying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    I did some about 20 years ago with my dad who who had done the course, its quite unusual now but a real traditional method of creating a perfect hedge from sparse or overgrown boundary planting, you don't see it very often now but it looks good when done properly.
    if i remmember rightly you need the right binders and stakes, i seem to think the binders need to be willow so you can bend them round the stakes, I will ask my dad later for the low down
    Excellent stuff. And I seem to recall that, when the hedge runs down a slope, it's important to lay it either up or down the slope, can't remember which but I suspect up.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Excellent stuff. And I seem to recall that, when the hedge runs down a slope, it's important to lay it either up or down the slope, can't remember which but I suspect up.
      Not sure on the uphill thing but the binders are hazel not willow as i first thought, i remember spending many hours in the woods cutting the long ones to make binders

I was not aware that you should lay a hedge depending on the types of animals that are to be kept in the field

NHLS - Home page

interesting reading and it would appear skilled hedgelayers are in demand again, i might need to dig out the old man's bill hooks as a plan B

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        You didn't reply the other day. Did you used to post as Markinbrussels or something very similar?

I suspect its Churchill. He uses this sockie when he wants to discuss some of his odd hobbies.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          I suspect its Churchill. He uses this sockie when he wants to discuss some of his odd hobbies.
          Nope. Not me. Try MF.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
            Spent a lot of time stepping.g back with ny hands on my pups admiring my handiwork.
            The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
            X