• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying house, and day of moving.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Had a drive past of the house we are buying tomorrow and there is no sign of movement, picture frames still up etc.
    How much is 'etc'? It may well be that they're leaving picture frames up so they can be handled directly by the removal company on the day, with blankets and padding etc.

The stuff that takes ages to pack is things like books (v. heavy so need lots of small boxes), big electronic set-ups (PC+printer+scanner+speakers or XBox+TV+DVD player+home cinema speakers - loads of cables and fiddly things to pack up), kitchen cupboards full of plates and cups and stuff.

Pretty much all the rest gets done by the removal co on the day with amazing speed and skill, even dismantling furniture. We moved recently and they stripped the place like locusts, amazing to watch.

But I did have the time-consuming stuff nearly all packed and ready.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      How much is 'etc'? It may well be that they're leaving picture frames up so they can be handled directly by the removal company on the day, with blankets and padding etc.

The stuff that takes ages to pack is things like books (v. heavy so need lots of small boxes), big electronic set-ups (PC+printer+scanner+speakers or XBox+TV+DVD player+home cinema speakers - loads of cables and fiddly things to pack up), kitchen cupboards full of plates and cups and stuff.

Pretty much all the rest gets done by the removal co on the day with amazing speed and skill, even dismantling furniture. We moved recently and they stripped the place like locusts, amazing to watch.

But I did have the time-consuming stuff nearly all packed and ready.
      Dunno could only see the living room window, we aren't actually moving in today, we are renting after selling a few months ago. The place we are buying needs a few months work so we would rather stay in rented while its done.

OK will let you know what happens as I bet you are all extremely interested.

Comment

Dunno could only see the living room window, we aren't actually moving in today, we are renting after selling a few months ago. The place we are buying needs a few months work so we would rather stay in rented while its done.

OK will let you know what happens as I bet you are all extremely interested.

Last time I post a helpful reply to one of your threads.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Last time I post a helpful reply to one of your threads.
          Eh? Why do you say that? Thanks BTW

Comment

I know someone who made the furniture removal people put the stuff in the garden until the money hit his account.

Comment

i have been watching the Pickfords programme on one of the telly channels (cannot remmber which) and its amazing how many people leave the packing until the day of the move, the removal men rock up and then start emptying the cupboards and packing even the most basic of things that could have been done beforehand by the home owner

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                My esteemed solicitor didn't even inform me that we'd completed.

I was ever so impressed.
                And it's 30 years now you've been living in that van.

Comment

House is ours, got keys around 1:30pm, was completely empty.

Comment

House is ours, got keys around 1:30pm, was completely empty.
                    What were you moaning about then?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      What were you moaning about then?
                      Nothing, was just paradroid

Comment

Working...
                      X