• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's your double dip plan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a REAL depression:

During the worst years of the depression (1933-1934) the overall jobless rate in the USA was 25% with another 25% taking wage cuts or working part time. The gross national product fell by almost 50%. Compare that with 2009/2010, when unemployment was 8.1% and the GDP had dropped 2%.

The Dow Jones market peaked at 381 on September 3, 1929, and bottomed out at 42 in 1932, which is an 89% decline. It did not reach 381 again until 23 years later in 1955.

Between 1930 and 1935, nearly 750,000 farms were lost through bankruptcy or sheriff sales. Scholars estimate that nearly 50% of all children during the depression did not have adequate food, shelter, or medical care.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
      This is a REAL depression:

During the worst years of the depression (1933-1934) the overall jobless rate in the USA was 25% with another 25% taking wage cuts or working part time. The gross national product fell by almost 50%. Compare that with 2009/2010, when unemployment was 8.1% and the GDP had dropped 2%.

The Dow Jones market peaked at 381 on September 3, 1929, and bottomed out at 42 in 1932, which is an 89% decline. It did not reach 381 again until 23 years later in 1955.

Between 1930 and 1935, nearly 750,000 farms were lost through bankruptcy or sheriff sales. Scholars estimate that nearly 50% of all children during the depression did not have adequate food, shelter, or medical care.
      Indeed read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" for an unforgettable picture of that time.

From the book:

"How can you frighten a man whose hunger is not only in his own cramped stomach but in the wretched bellies of his children? You can't scare him – he has known a fear beyond every other. ”

A classic.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        If the US does default on it's debt and The PIIGS default as well:

1. What do you think will happen to you personally - how will you be affected?
        2. Do you have anything in place for a double dip/credit cunch 2.0?
        3. If so what?
        Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 and boxes of 7.62 rounds, a room full of tinned baked beans and bottled water and a bumper edition book of the Crunchie Girls Boeing Stearman Wing Walking team.
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 and boxes of 7.62 rounds, a room full of tinned baked beans and bottled water and book of Sudoku.
          If you want to defend then I'd recommend something better than AK 47.

HTH

Comment

I hear Greece have stopped all production of taramasalata and humous for this very reason.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Indeed read Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" for an unforgettable picture of that time.

From the book:

"How can you frighten a man whose hunger is not only in his own cramped stomach but in the wretched bellies of his children? You can't scare him – he has known a fear beyond every other. ”

A classic.
              It's hard to imagine bad times like that.

I'm not saying a depression won't happen, just debating the suggestion that it already has and we have been in one from the outset.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                I hear Greece have stopped all production of taramasalata and humous for this very reason.
                Oh no, not another double dip recession!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  If you want to defend then I'd recommend something better than AK 47.

HTH
                  I won't fire until I see the white of their eyes. Plus looking for durability.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Carry On Contracting
                    WHS...
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

A real depression is waking up alone and finding yourself in Brum, having worked on the same fruitless thing for 6 years, and still living in a tiny rented bedsit with only a DFS sofa and box of tissues as belongings.

That's depressing.

Comment

Working...
                      X