• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Land development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    The problem is that land with planning permission or potential to demolish and rebuild is priced too high.

Similar to houses that need refubishment priced equivalent to estimated value after refurb minus estimated cost of refurb.

Hard to find bargains, unless you're willing to put up with flaws such as near a pylon, railway line, motorway, floodplain, or disused mine shaft.

In the last 10 years or so speculating developers have cornered the market. Many estate agents have preferred clients (builders who may have 'done a deal' with them to get first nod) they contact before advertising new land/properties to the wider audience. So any advertised suitable land is going to be top whack.
    Agreed - many years ago, you could negotiate for well below what it would cost to refurb the property thus ensuring a healthy profit.

Comment

two words....

due diligence

Milan.

Comment

Buy up cheap land/rundown detached house/bungalow on large plot at auction.

Apply and pursue PP for large modern house.

If successful, sell for large profit or build it an live in it.

If not, sell at auction and get your money back. Rinse and Repeat.

Simples.

Comment

We had this discussion a while back somewhere. One of the less regular posters had built some flats and an office. He went into quite a bit of detail if I remember rightly.

Use the bloody search option above.

MF in 'Northernlad' Mode.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            We had this discussion a while back somewhere. One of the less regular posters had built some flats and an office. He went into quite a bit of detail if I remember rightly.

Use the bloody search option above.

MF in 'Northernlad' Mode.
            So you were touching yourself when you posted this?

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              So you were touching yourself when you posted this?
              Wearing stockings and suspenders?

Yes.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I did exactly this 3 years ago. Bought just over 1/3 acre land (£150K) in the North Manchester area and built my dream 5 bed house, but more importantly a Quad car garage. Cost about £200K maybe a bit more, and house was valued at £475K recently. Apart from the obvious cash return (which is only certain I guess when one actually sells it), the experience for me was amazing as I did a lot of the work myself. I'd just sold a business, had 6 months off to work on the build then returned to contracting to pay to finish it off!

Stressful, isn't the word though. If you plan to PM it and so some yourself as I did, expect huge headaches, add 50% to what you think it will cost, some physical exhaustion and a near divorce thrown in and you may be somewhere close. Mine is still only 95% finished, there's always something to keep me occupied, but very rewarding.

If you want to PM me for some sound advice rather being ridiculed on here let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  I did exactly this 3 years ago. Bought just over 1/3 acre land (£150K) in the North Manchester area and built my dream 5 bed house, but more importantly a Quad car garage. Cost about £200K maybe a bit more, and house was valued at £475K recently. Apart from the obvious cash return (which is only certain I guess when one actually sells it), the experience for me was amazing as I did a lot of the work myself. I'd just sold a business, had 6 months off to work on the build then returned to contracting to pay to finish it off!

Stressful, isn't the word though. If you plan to PM it and so some yourself as I did, expect huge headaches, add 50% to what you think it will cost, some physical exhaustion and a near divorce thrown in and you may be somewhere close. Mine is still only 95% finished, there's always something to keep me occupied, but very rewarding.

If you want to PM me for some sound advice rather being ridiculed on here let me know...
                  impressive. what about the plumbing and the wiring ?
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

My plumbing has always been in check, thank you!

Some of the stuff I did was fit first floor joists, board first floor, fit stairs, most of first fix electrics, most of first fix plumbing, fitted out all (5) bathrooms, built whole upstairs studded walls, insulated and plasterboarded upstairs, fitted windows and conservatory.... ****...I'm struggling to think of things ! Pretty much everything except for foundations, brickwork and roof trusses.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                      My plumbing has always been in check, thank you!

Some of the stuff I did was fit first floor joists, board first floor, fit stairs, most of first fix electrics, most of first fix plumbing, fitted out all (5) bathrooms, built whole upstairs studded walls, insulated and plasterboarded upstairs, fitted windows and conservatory.... ****...I'm struggling to think of things ! Pretty much everything except for foundations, brickwork and roof trusses.
                      blooming heck.

I put a tent up in Keswick a few weeks ago and I was dead chuffed with meself
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X