• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are Nuts a Waste of Time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    All sorts of different nuts I put in, and they make quite a rattle as you kneed the mix.
    knead
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
      Same here Threaded... can't beat home made bread. Have you tried muscovado, honey and raisin bread?
      I'm just starting to have a go at that baking thing. I find all my bread turns out too sweet for my liking. Does it have to take ages to actually find a nice recipe? I've spent a fortune on flour, etc and have only produced icky rubbish to date. But my fave so far was a very simple jalapeno and cheese effort. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
        Evil little devils that go all bitty and make you cough - having a peanut shoot out you nose is no fun let me tell you

Although a nut in the culinary sense, in the botanical sense the fruit of the peanut is a woody, indehiscent legume or pod and not technically a nut.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck
          I'm just starting to have a go at that baking thing. I find all my bread turns out too sweet for my liking. Does it have to take ages to actually find a nice recipe? I've spent a fortune on flour, etc and have only produced icky rubbish to date. But my fave so far was a very simple jalapeno and cheese effort. Yum!
          Don't put any sugar in. It's not necessary, despite what any recipes might say.

Are you using a bread machine or kneading au naturel?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box

If she was naked, at her age her tits'd be getting mixed with the dough...

Comment

Bread machine!! I keep leaving it and forgetting to do the extra kneading after the rising periods, so I gave up and slung it all in a box. I did think the sugar element seemed a little excessive and did wonder whether the recipe would work without. I'll give it a try and see how it goes! Thanks!

Originally posted by Churchill
              If she was naked, at her age her tits'd be getting mixed with the dough...

I'm not that old!

Comment

I'm not that old!

but do you have great Baps or should i say Rolls

Comment

That certainly explains your smile.

Comment

Hello, hyperD, you old gourmand, you. I hope you had a super holiday and are ready and raring to get back into work mode.

I can't quite match that array there, but I made my own baked beans last week. A definite success: I will never buy a can of the over-sweetened, over-salted, modified-starch-laden buggers again.
                    Many thanks - Anguilla was quite good - a sort of cross between Maldives and Caymans - quiet, no tourists, a la carte cooking at New York prices, white sands and blue lagoon seas... moratorium on development but prob won't last sadly. Expect condos in 5 years from the american investors leading to a Barbados tourist resort.

Just had more work come in from a dormant client - a large airline company (that we happened to be flying with to Anguilla) on top of the usual oil & gas companies. Fearing I might have to outsource all this... well, at least the wife's shopping bills will be paid now...

Baked beans? Now that's good - what do you use as the sauce? (I've still to try making my own butter - will try and do this weekend).
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Bread machine!! I keep leaving it and forgetting to do the extra kneading after the rising periods, so I gave up and slung it all in a box. I did think the sugar element seemed a little excessive and did wonder whether the recipe would work without. I'll give it a try and see how it goes! Thanks!
                      As LB says, you don't need any extra sugar otherwise you'll get a "fruit cake" type taste.

I don't use a bread machine any more as I find it's just as quick and better for making nice shapes using "au natural" and an oven (with some sprayed water/dish of water in to avoid drying the bread out while cooking).

Also, I over did the yeast on some bread mix and the mixture poured into the heating element stinking the place out. Threw it away as the smell contaminated the bread.

If you like cheese & jalapeno, try making garlic bread with lumps of real garlic in - very pronounced taste and keeps the Romanians away.
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X