• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The rate of the rate of the rise in rising inflation is falling!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    position

The original article was referring to a change in the rate of inflation rather than a third derivative.
    Displacement is correct here. Displacement is the change in position, and the derivative of this displacement is velocity. The second derivative of displacement is acceleration.

d = x - y (linear displacement)

v = d / t

a = v / t

where x, y are scalar coordinates, d = dispalcement, v = velocity, t = time, and a = acceleration.
    Last edited by rd409; 12 July 2011, 14:55. Reason: missing formulae

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Stone me, I didn't mean to start the calculus wars all over again.
      What's that zeity, the academics can 'ave the code monkeys any day....yea I agree...well said.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
        Displacement is correct here. Displacement is the change in position, and the derivative of this displacement is velocity. The second derivative of displacement is acceleration.

d = x - y (linear displacement)

v = d / t

a = v / t

where x, y are scalar coordinates, d = dispalcement, v = velocity, t = time, and a = acceleration.
        V = dx/dt to be more precise, you're describing average speed and acceleration. The dx, the displacement, approaches zero at the limit, which is also the position where you wish to take the derivative. v = d/t only works for very small d or where acceleration = 0 for example.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          Position is generally referred to as displacement as it is a scalar quantity, but they are the same in this case.
          Incidentally displacement is a vector quantity. Not that vectors are relevant anyway, as you can take derivatives of quantities other than vectors! Speed, for example. Thanks for ruining my great little pound pun with all this illiterate nonsense though

Comment

Incidentally displacement is a vector quantity. Not that vectors are relevant anyway, as you can take derivatives of quantities other than vectors! Speed, for example. Thanks for ruining my great little pound pun with all this illiterate nonsense though
            In the above example, v = dd/dt, since d = x-y.

Would it be easier to understand if it was in s-notation.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
              In the above example, v = dd/dt, since d = x-y.

Would it be easier to understand if it was in s-notation.
              Usually when people go to the trouble to say displacement they refer to the vector quantity describing the shortest path between two points, they don't usually go out of their way to describe displacement as a scalar. Distance is usually the word used for that.
              Displacement (vector) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, that's my limit. [another pun]

Comment

Usually when people go to the trouble to say displacement they refer to the vector quantity describing the shortest path between two points, they don't usually go out of their way to describe displacement as a scalar. Distance is usually the word used for that.
                Displacement (vector) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, that's my limit. [another pun]
                Your puns are as bad as your maths.

Comment

In a related item...Did anybody catch the BBC 4 documentary The Story of Maths last night? BBC - BBC Four Programmes - The Story of Maths
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                  X