• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do You Dress To Impress?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    On another forum I frequent the talk got round to IT Contractors and Interviews, and I was surprised at the apprant number of people who don't make an effort to be smart and presentable for an interview?!

I know we are being hired on our knowledge rathar than anything else, but I wouldn't dream of going to an interview without been clean shaven, having polished shoes and in a smart suit WITH tie
    I believe the same. Always earnt me extra brownie points when I was a teenager and employers even thanked me for dressing so well, then started telling me about idiots that would come in trainers and ripped jeans and have the cheek to ask for a job.

Sitting beside some candidates throughout my years, I cant believe what some people wear .... First impressions count ...

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Always better to over dress than underdress.
    Sometimes.

However I do remember one job interview at a small company when I was younger though. I was in the full gear (suit, tie, etc). The interviewer kept asking if I was there for the management job (different posts being interviewed on same day) and got rather defensive as if I was a threat or competition to him. I had to re-assure him I wasnt as he didnt seem to believe me.

In some places, if you dress too smartly, it can inadvertantly put peoples noses out of joint.

As I said previously though, always dress your smartest, especially when asking an employer for a job or asking a bank for money.

Comment

Many moons ago - I was turned down for a job for wearing a trouser suit instead of a skirt suit.

The old bint who interviewed me actually told the agency that was the reason... it wasn't appropriate for ladies to wear trousers
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Many moons ago - I was turned down for a job for wearing a trouser suit instead of a skirt suit.

The old bint who interviewed me actually told the agency that was the reason... it wasn't appropriate for ladies to wear trousers
        Wow really?

I always prefer skirt suits on women as I think it's more ladylike, but that's just a personal preference, it certainly isnt a reason NOT to employ someone!

In fact, if working in IT for instance or other jobs, a trouser suit may be better in terms of H+S ....

Comment

You've obviously read this story then:
          Melanie Stark Harrods row: If you refuse to put on lippy, why should any firm give you a job? | Mail Online

and
          Harrods' line on beauty is 'deeply sexist' | Law | The Guardian
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post

However I do remember one job interview at a small company when I was younger though. I was in the full gear (suit, tie, etc). The interviewer kept asking if I was there for the management job (different posts being interviewed on same day) and got rather defensive as if I was a threat or competition to him. I had to re-assure him I wasnt as he didnt seem to believe me.

In some places, if you dress too smartly, it can inadvertantly put peoples noses out of joint.
            If dressing properly for an interview put their nose out of joint imagine working there and doing work that could praised by say a customer.

The manager would go mad....

My sister has been in a situation where a customer praised her work and her manager wouldn't speak to her for the rest of the time in that organisation. Luckily it was only 3 weeks.

Comment

No, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than read the Mail.

Not read the other one either.
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

When I started working in the city, women were not allowed to wear trouser suits in the Lloyd's market. They only changed the ruling a year later.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

No, I'd rather gouge my own eyes out than read the Mail.

Not read the other one either.
                  It's in a few UK newspapers.

Unfortunately both these are comment pieces.

A shop assistant who worked in HMV in Harrods is taking them to a tribunal for sex discrimination.

Since she started working there she has refused to wear make up and the management basically ignored her for about 4 years as she was fine selling to customers. However recently they insisted that she conforms to their make-up dress code of being heavily made up and then made it uncomfortable for her to work there so she resigned.

The Mail article is accusing her of being a slob for not wearing make-up there as The Guardian article is laughing at the dress code because expecting women to wear lipstick, lip liner and lip gloss at the same time is OTT.

Comment

I always I thought I looked smart at work, until a colleague said that if I smartened myself up, I'd make a nice tramp

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      It's in a few UK newspapers.

Unfortunately both these are comment pieces.

A shop assistant who worked in HMV in Harrods is taking them to a tribunal for sex discrimination.

Since she started working there she has refused to wear make up and the management basically ignored her for about 4 years as she was fine selling to customers. However recently they insisted that she conforms to their make-up dress code of being heavily made up and then made it uncomfortable for her to work there so she resigned.

The Mail article is accusing her of being a slob for not wearing make-up there as The Guardian article is laughing at the dress code because expecting women to wear lipstick, lip liner and lip gloss at the same time is OTT.
                      Hmmmnnn - I never wear makeup to work.

I could understand the need to have a made up face if working on the beauty counters but otherwise, it's only done for the benefit of men, other women don't give a tulip, I'd imagine.
                      Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                      X