• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post gone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ScotsPine, please explain

Blimey, this has got a bit serious hasn't it ?

Scots seems seriously rattled. What happened m8, wifey too tired last night ? Have a quick hand shandy in the traps and calm down dear, it's only a discussion board, not the General Synod AGM.

Comment

it is only a discussion board, bgg and like all such, including ccnet, can be closed down.

Comment

are you lot not married or have girlfriends?.
        Yes, that's why we need to talk about tits in the Light Relief Section. :rolleyes

Comment

ws, if you want to see a relatively unmoderated board, go [if you haven't already] to ccnet.
          I don't think anybody is advocating that this board should be allowed to go the way of cc.net, but I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of regulars on here would draw the line considerably lower than you do ScotsPine. As WS said, it was all pretty harmless banter when taken in context and I think the job of a moderator should be to keep things at a level that the majority of people are comfortable with rather than try to impose their own moral agenda.

All IMHO of course.

Comment

ScotsPine, I disagree with much of what you claim, but clearly I am not going to change your mind and it’s pointless to argue (although I dispute that someone reading this board would go out and rape a dog as a result of my joke – if they did then they clearly have deeper psychological problems than a bulletin board). However, if you found my comment about the dog distasteful then I apologise; my intention was not to offend.

“ws, if you want to see a relatively unmoderated board, go [if you haven't already] to ccnet. if you can suggest any reasons why this, if it were to become umnmoderated, would not descend to equal depths, post them up to the owners and they might take you up on it...”I have no intention of visiting any other forums, and I have no desire to reason with the “owners” of this board. However, if this board wants to be selective, then it should be by private membership only, not open to anyone with an e-mail account. I visit this board precisely because it is frequented by reasonable individuals who are able to put things into a proper context.

Comment

Yet the level of insulting and bullying isn't that different. Especially when even moderators advocate the right to label people as "knuckleheads".
              Good point, Franco.

Comment

"I think the job of a moderator should be to keep things at a level that the majority of people are comfortable with rather than try to impose their own moral agenda" - paco that is so flawed it is hardly worth replying to.

ws, i don't recall saying "that someone reading this board would go out and rape a dog as a result of [your] joke"

"I have no intention of visiting any other forums" - maybe you should. just to let you see exactly how 'reasonable' some posters can be. the board has no option but to be selective. it always has been. the t&c dictate that. anything else is the kiss of death. the point might be worth making that the board is [largely] "frequented by reasonable individuals" simply because the board keeps the bulk of the lunatics away.

anyway, i'm away to see how my mesa lonestar is getting on.

Comment

I visit this board precisely because it is frequented by reasonable individuals who are able to put things into a proper context.
                  That was a joke, right? This board is a lot of things, but it aint frequented by reasonable individuals who are able to put things into a proper context.

Comment

it is only a discussion board, bgg and like all such, including ccnet, can be closed down.
                    Point taken Scots.

It is a shame though.

In the Voltaire Room at Sanoucci Orangery in Potsdam, Berlin, the King invited Voltaire and other great philosophers to debate anything they liked, no holds barred. Every view was tolerated.

Can you imagine that in this day and age...no chance. We've now self imposed out own curtailement on the freedom of speech, and don't need to worry about the Government doing it for us (though they have played a pivotal role).

I wonder if we could bring a class action against CUK for the moderation of free speech. OTOH, they could probably do the same to us for some of things posted here...but since when were views illegal ?

I mean, could a person in theory (Chico..don't bother answering theoretical questions as they are illogical), ring up their local cop shop and say

Joe P : "Alright Guv, I'd like you to arrest me."
                    Pig: "What for sir ?"
                    Joe P : "I'm a racist."
                    Pig : "Have you done any crime that was racially motivated"
                    Joe P : "No. Not thinking of doing one either. I just don't like non-white people. "

Could Joe P be arrested ? On what grounds ?

If he can't be arrested on the grounds of not having commited a crime, then the law is saying that it is absolutely ok not like non-white people.

But if he can be arrested for not liking non-white people, even though he has commited no physical crime, then we as a nation are in serious danger.

Comment

"I have no intention of visiting any other forums" - maybe you should. just to let you see exactly how 'reasonable' some posters can be.
                      I have seen such forums. Interestingly they tend to be the American boards for some reason :rolleyes

the board has no option but to be selective.
                      No, it's not selective. It is open to anyone with an e-mail account. Anyone can sign up.

the point might be worth making that the board is [largely] "frequented by reasonable individuals" simply because the board keeps the bulk of the lunatics away
                      You mean lunatics such as myself? I prefer to think that such loonies keep away because they find the conversation on this board, between reasonable and intelligent people (in real life, never mind the characters people play on this board), boring. Instead they choose to play with fellow flamers and trolls on the footie boards.

Comment

Working...
                      X