• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harperson proposes sexual discrimination in the workplace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She had been politely informed by the medium of phone that if she wants a nice back garden she can get her fat arse our and put in the 3 hours I just done this afternoon.

</manRantOver>

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
      I think it's a bit sexist to lump all women together as seeing each other as a threat, bearing grudges, manipulative and political. But that is the problem in making generalisations.

I might see your point on bearing grudges, as there is some ring of truth to the phrase "a woman scorned" and manipulative, which isnt always a bad thing. Some women are more socially adept than some of us blokes and know how to manipulate a situation to their advantage.

However on the point of seeing each other as a threat, I think that's common across both genders. With a lot of men, there is the dreaded "alpha male syndrome", especially if they are in a new relationship. I think you may be right on a point though, of when we disagree with another man, we will discuss it or even take it outside, but once it is dealt with, many men find it easier to move on without holding on to ill feelings.

As for political? It depends in what sense you mean? If you mean office politics and social interaction, I would agree. If we are talking about social, moral and political conversations, I wouldnt agree at all with that generalisation.
      Point taken about generalisation. I am making the comments in comparison to men. Women play games and are very single minded about the territory in which they live (usually the nest). This is manifested in getting the best for their children. Men on the other hand are much more likely to disappear and find another woman.
      As for the alpha male they are much more comfortable in each others company than women are.
      Again I am making generalisations but these may explain why the status quo is as it is. Women do not dominate the boardrooms and they do dominate HR there are reasons for this and those reasons are not necessarily negative.
      I do not believe that engineering social change in order to for example get more women into boardrooms is a good thing at all. The quid pro quo for example is that it is men losing their lives in a war against terror which let us face it boils down to how women are treated.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You have attacked an entire sector of society which includes some of the posters on here.

However I guess that's ok.
        How have I?

All you referenced is my post that I made in response to being called a predator which is laughable ....

Where is this supposed insult that I made against a supposed sector of society?

Please tell me what it is and explain clearly how it was an insult. I would love to know?

Different people have different life experiences however don't ever presume that you can determine how an entire sector of society whether you are classify them by race, sex, ethnicity etc think.
        I never said anything of the sort.

Yet again, please tell me how you come to such a conclusion.

I think k2p2 is well aware of things.
        Dont presume to think you know how aware other people are of things or what they think

Actually if you are a woman who works or studies in certain areas of STEM sexism will be one of the things that affects you on a regular basis. Likewise if you are a male teacher, nurse or mid-wife. So while it may not be a concern to most of society it will be to particular groups in society.
        As I said previously, Im well aware of the issues.

But the disadvantages you list can be positives. Females are increasingly sought after over the top of male candidates in IT, especially if they deal with clients directly.

Social stigmas are dropping and it isnt seen as queer/odd that a man is a nurse. However stigmas still havent disappeared. Men still arent considered by most of society, fit to run a household for example.

And I should add this is an internet forum and people will butt in on conversations particularly if you are being rude to someone.
        And ??????

I wasnt the one that was rude .... I wasnt the one that made personal derogratory remarks then failed to back them up ..... Once again, please prove me wrong if you can ......

Some of us like myself, have tried to discuss the subject matter time and again without the personal attacks ... So maybe you should think about who is the one being rude here ...

Comment

I always swear except when I'm around the young or the elderly.
          Fair enough ... I'll try to remember in future to read it in a jovial manner instead .....

Positive discrimination is already in use.

Legally in the case of people with disabilities getting jobs and all female parliamentary short lists (unless you are Harperson husband). Illegally (until now) in the case of male primary school teachers.
          I just dont see how victimising a sector of society, previously supposedly unvictimised makes things right and my point.

If we want equality, we must try to understand others perspectives. Instead of getting more rights for one sector of society, by undermining the rights of another sector ....

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Women play games and are very single minded about the territory in which they live (usually the nest). This is manifested in getting the best for their children. Men on the other hand are much more likely to disappear and find another woman.
            I would completely agree here and say it isnt even a generalisation, pure biology. As primates, men are driven to spread their seed as much as possible, while women biologically are driven to provide for the young and seek out the best male dna from elidgable partners

Comment

I would completely agree here and say it isnt even a generalisation, pure biology. As primates, men are driven to spread their seed as much as possible, while women biologically are driven to provide for the young and seek out the best male dna from elidgable partners
              Unfortunately we men have been "socially engineered" not to behave naturally.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Unfortunately we men have been "socially engineered" not to behave naturally.
                Women, eh?

You can't live with 'em, you can't bury them under the patio!

Comment

I just dont see how victimising a sector of society, previously supposedly unvictimised makes things right and my point.

If we want equality, we must try to understand others perspectives. Instead of getting more rights for one sector of society, by undermining the rights of another sector ....
                  How are you being victimised?

The point of positive discrimination in certain cases is to change how society views other sectors of society including those who are normally excluded.

For example having more male primary school teachers helps to:
                  1. Stop boys normal behaviour being stigmatised
                  2. Give children who don't have good male role models them
                  etc.

On the other hand while having more female politicians is good the fact that all we are getting is the replacement of male politicians from a certain background i.e. Harperson's with female politicians from the same background isn't a good thing.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Personally I have spent much of my adult life thinking women are fantasic but if you geeks want to argue if the female body is less able to produce a brain capable of computer programming you are missing the point.

Comment

How have I?

All you referenced is my post that I made in response to being called a predator which is laughable ....
                      Oh for feck's sake - clearly I wasn't unambiguous enough!

I didn't call you a predator - I suggested that you thinking that huge numbers of women were viewing you as a predator was a figment of an overactive, misogynistic imagination! I think you just proved the point.

But well done - you got me to respond to another trolling post.

Comment

Working...
                      X