• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP Brian Haw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    He always said it was because of the children

An undeniably noble sentiment. But what did he actually achieve by camping out? Civilians and their children are still being killed due to "friendly fire" and "weapons systems malfunctions".
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      An undeniably noble sentiment. But what did he actually achieve by camping out?
      WWS

All very well having these "laudable" aims, but when the sum total of your life's sacrifice is the ruination of a smallish part of the Westminster lawns, it all seems a bit pointless.
      He would have been better served joining the Peace Corps if he really wanted to try and make a difference. Though that might have resulted in him having to do a bit more actual grafting and a lot less "Me me me" posturing.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Knowing how piss-poor the previous government was at writing legislation (IR35 is a prime example), it always made me laugh that they passed a law specifically to ban Brian Haw, then found it couldn't be applied to him!

Comment

I suppose he put himself out, made himself uncomfortable in order to make a point. A bit like a
          21st century hair-shirt

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            He always said it was because of the children
            Yeah.......sure it was!!!

Prior to his Parliament Square protest, Haw worked with troubled youngsters in Redditch, Worcestershire, where he lived with his wife Kay and their seven children until he left them in 2001 to begin his protest. The couple divorced in 2003
            I also noticed this bizarre development in his upbringing too......."His father, who had been one of the first British soldiers to enter the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp, worked in a betting office. He committed suicide by gassing himself when Haw was 13."

The quintessential "Essex Man" methinks.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
              An undeniably noble sentiment. But what did he actually achieve by camping out? Civilians and their children are still being killed due to "friendly fire" and "weapons systems malfunctions".
              I don't think he expected to extinguish all child killings and injuries, just highlight it and maybe save a few lives. he is a level above most of the non-contributing oxygen thieves on here that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                I don't think he expected to extinguish all child killings and injuries, just highlight it and maybe save a few lives. he is a level above most of the non-contributing oxygen thieves on here that's for sure.
                He sat on a lawn for ten years. Bravo.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  I don't think he expected to extinguish all child killings and injuries, just highlight it and maybe save a few lives
                  But he saved no lives, and walked out on his own wife and kids to (non) achieve this. Way to go!!!
                  Maybe we should change his name to HeeHaw in recognition of his achievements?

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    But he saved no lives, and walked out on his own wife and kids to (non) achieve this. Way to go!!!
                    Maybe we should change his name to HeeHaw in recognition of his achievements?

Ah right, thats not good.

Comment

Working...
                    X