• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Letting a project fail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    did you think of bringing your quite obviously unique talent, experience, insight and brilliance to bear to offer solutions to the myriad of issues?
    i.e. thump the director?

Comment

failure is what we want isn't it ?

as a contractor when I am looking for work if I have two potential interviews like:

contract a

Project Manager has everything under control, good processes, procedures, documentation, and he said, Mr Benes you will come in here for three months, install this .Net system, document it and the F off

contract b

Project Manager says, everything is going tits, nothing's working, all kind of problems, doesn't know where to start

I takes contract b, cos I knows that one's gonna be a long runner

so there you have it

tricks of the trade # 154

project failure = success for contractors

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        failure is what we want isn't it ?

contract b

Project Manager says, everything is going tits, nothing's working, all kind of problems, doesn't know where to start

Milan.
        The bonus for you here though benesy is that said Project Manager does not draw those conclusions until just AFTER you have left!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Interesting thread. It seems I made a mistake in previously putting MF on the ignored list.

As for the thread question - I suspect it's a case of covering one's culo, and building the lifeboat. You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make it drink...
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            What would you do if you worked at a client that kept making the wrong priorization calls on projects, that had bitten off more work than it could handle and in the delivery of that work kept prototyping new products to bring in more work but without actually putting resource on the existing work.

Having been managing projects that were ahead of schedule, all of my resource has been pulled. Now all of my projects are behind and at risk. The projects that resource were pulled on are now at risk and one has failed.

Again today I have come in to find that halfway though the day that resource was pulled off, hence not finishing what they were working on and now stopping me from progressing. I'm now fiddling as the fires start and the next phase is now missed.

The client is not project planning or resource planning anything. They are constantly caught off guard when someone goes sick or on holiday.

I've gone through all the usual processes. Provided a resource plan, pointed out the risks, CYA'd, escalated to the director in charge(he's part of the problem).
            Having spent a number of years running the show, this contract is at the bottom of the heap, nice to see it from a different perspective.

Should I care because when the tulip hits the fan I'll still be here?
            MF.... after all these years, you never change
            Its just work, let it go!

Comment

Are you really letting the project fail though, MF? From what you said there isn't much you can do about it.
              As previously said - cover your arse, bill, chill.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Are you really letting the project fail though, MF? From what you said there isn't much you can do about it.
                As previously said - cover your arse, bill, chill.
                I never fail at anything.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

damn. they brought the green kryptonite
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Even running tat shops?
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      Even running tat shops?
                      Nope.

Annoyingly came out 25-30k ahead(yet to finish the accounts)

Oh btw. I've got $15 dollar here and a broken laptop. Dance monkey . Dance!
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X