• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dont contract in Amsterdam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    His post sounds similar to one complaining about a contract in Switzerland.

I'm puzzled why people who contract abroad presume that everything is like the UK.
    Similar complaint, way different style (word count).
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      Let us say 5% to the umbrella, that's less than 60% total tax and deductions, including "employer's" contributions. That is not OTT. What higher earners sometimes get away with in the UK is IMHO OTT, and the reason why the UK's services and infrastructure are so crap.
      No. Ultimately tax rates are pretty similar all over Europe, once you factor in the deductions and allowance. German and Swiss infrastructure and services are excellent because they are run and staffed by German and Swiss engineers and social scientists, plus quite a few Turkish technicians and customer service people. British infrastructure and services are run by clueless tulipwits with MBAs and staffed by semi literate chavs. That's why they're tulip. Obviously there are exceptions.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Is there a witholding tax arrangement with Holland ?

I got stung for a big tax bill once, but I was able to claim the witholding tax (20%) back
        that was for a gig in Singapore

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Is there a witholding tax arrangement with Holland ?

I got stung for a big tax bill once, but I was able to claim the witholding tax (20%) back
          that was for a gig in Singapore

Dunno. However, the trick in Holland is to deliberately pay too much tax then claim it back a year later. You'll get around 5% interest om the overpaid tax, which is a lot more than any bank will give you.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            No. Ultimately tax rates are pretty similar all over Europe, once you factor in the deductions and allowance. German and Swiss infrastructure and services are excellent because they are run and staffed by German and Swiss engineers and social scientists, plus quite a few Turkish technicians and customer service people. British infrastructure and services are run by clueless tulipwits with MBAs and staffed by semi literate chavs. That's why they're tulip. Obviously there are exceptions.
            You're quite right. Apologies for the Friday Afternoon posting.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
              wibble... (Mod)

Wrong thread

Sorry about that EO - I wouldn't have neg repped you had I realised it was a mistake. +ve rep coming shortly... CJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                But one of the problems in the UK is this:
                Jeremy Corbyn MP » Our railways
                Where operators fail the public sector has to step in. The failure of Connex South Eastern forced the SRA to put in management to run the South East Trains franchise. Under public ownership it has resulted in a better service with fewer complaints. The case for it staying in public hands is not just a Trade Union demand, but supported by the users who, after all, are in a good position to judge.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Just a word to confirm that I am stupid and thick and did not bother to conduct any research about tax liabilities.

FTFY

I was given a spreadsheet by the agent so I knew the deductions beforehand which showed about 50 percent , I didn't care about this because it was only for one month , I was just warning anyone else going over that the deductions are higher than what agents tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by AccessDenied View Post
                    I was given a spreadsheet by the agent so I knew the deductions beforehand which showed about 50 percent , I didn't care about this because it was only for one month , I was just warning anyone else going over that the deductions are higher than what agents tell you.
                    Most of us going over would have spoken with an accountant rather than a pimp to clarify what our tax liabilities should be.

Dutch tax rates 2011

Also you could have checked that you are eligible for the 30% ruling as well if you are operating via an umbrella which from the sounds of it you seem to be.

The 30% ruling - De 30% regeling
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Also you could have checked that you are eligible for the 30% ruling as well if you are operating via an umbrella which from the sounds of it you seem to be.

The 30% ruling - De 30% regeling
                      WHS and then some.

With 40% retention, something has one wrong. Have worked in Holland before there's no way you owe that much in tax.

A other fellow posters have said, do your research. Although hindsight is a wonderful thing I've found dutch clients super charge my rate to mitigate the effects of tax. Did you ask? Remember, don't ask don't get so don't complain.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X