• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Icelandic volcano stops flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    News reports today suggesting the existing ash cloud will blow back across the whole of the UK on Friday.

Get analysing that data , I want a full report by dinner time!

From the Beeb, Iceland volcano ash closes airspace in northern Germany
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I don't want to see anyone die but... I'd love to see Michael O'Leary's face if one of his planes came down with a pair of seized engines. : Devil

Willie Walsh was on R4 this morning, he said tests had found 4mg per cubic metre of air which was about a teaspoon, he went on to say that it was a very small amount.

I can only guess as to how much air passes through a jet engine but I would imagine a cubic metre isn’t in there very long, thats a lot of ash Shirley?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I don't want to see anyone die but... I'd love to see Michael O'Leary's face if one of his planes came down with a pair of seized engines. : Devil
        They covered this on the World Service in reasonable detail yesterday.

There was the Ryan Air bloke complaining bitterly about CAA's incompetence preventing Ryan Air from flying. He said Ryan Air had flown a test flight and proved there was no ash. He also said "There is no ash cloud, it is a myth". In short, he was demanding compensation from the government.

A meteorologist working on the ash cloud tracking was up next: he was clearly furious. "It was very kind of Ryan Air to do a test flight at 41,000 feet and find no ash, JUST LIKE WE SAID THERE WOULDN'T BE. It is in strata at lower levels than that. They flew that flight based on data we provided to create a false impression."

So, Ryan Air intentionally are lying to try to claim compensation while trying to give the wrong impression that flying is safe. Surely the directors could be prosecuted for something?

Anyway, Mrs RC's suggestion: "Ryan Air should be allowed to fly provided every flight carries one Ryan Air director, and the child of another Ryan Air director."
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          They flew that flight based on data we provided to create a false impression."

So, Ryan Air intentionally are lying to try to claim compensation while trying to give the wrong impression that flying is safe. Surely the directors could be prosecuted for something?
          Not until the tulip hits the fan.

Err well technically not until the plane hits the ground after the ash blocks the combustion chambers.

Comment

Working...
          X