• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# 4.0

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think jobsOverseas should be a delegate

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
      Whenever anyone asks my thoughts on C++
      <Fr Dougal>

And why would they do that then Ted?

Is that like when you're standing at a bus stop, or washing your Porche, or something?

Or do they do it to see what a big feckin' eejot you are?

</Fr Dougal>
      Last edited by bogeyman; 21 March 2006, 20:10.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
        I love the comments from C++ moaning about us C# guys being lame because we can't get C++.

Hey at least I get to write apps rather than pissing around with bloody memory leaks and null pointers.
        I thought most C# people were glorified webmasters, not application programmers.

As far as I can see, C# is mostly a case of . instead of -> . I've never done any, but it does look like quite a neat language it has to be said.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

C# is a good thing, but they really need to give better control over memory management, ie programmer knows things better and if he says that this chunk of memory is not needed than GC should release it immediately - in theory GC.Collect() does this to an extent, but there should be cheaper methods to release just given memory object.

Memory leaks can still happen in .NET.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            C# is a good thing, but they really need to give better control over memory management, ie programmer knows things better and if he says that this chunk of memory is not needed than GC should release it immediately - in theory GC.Collect() does this to an extent, but there should be cheaper methods to release just given memory object.
            I never quite saw the point of the lazy garbage collection, and never understood why things aren't destroyed when the last reference is released (which is how I've done it with a javascript implementation). I assume it's to avoid the immediate performance hit, but if there's a performance issue then the programmer ought to find ways around it, I don't really trust some other system doing it for me in "idle" time.

But this is about .NET CLR, and nothing to do with C# as such. It's often a false comparison with C++ as C++ is just a language, whereas the likes of Java and C# are languages tied to particular environments. I always thought it was a shame you couldn't just use Java in the same way as C++ (i.e. make native Windows calls and produce a native binary) as then I would have considered using Java rather than C++ for the 99% of my application that wasn't doing speed critical graphics stuff, and I'd do the same with C# now. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, and to use Java means the Java Runtime, and to use C# means .NET, and that involves a much bigger change than just using a different language.

And in the last half hour I've done a C# program! WooHoo!
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              I never quite saw the point of the lazy garbage collection,
              The main reason for this is performance.

It is true that .NET CLR does all this rather than C#, but they should have created additional pro options in CLR and exposed it in a pro lang like C#. Say they added pointers to C# - sure it requires extra effort to declare code as unsafe, but at least this option is there and I found that in some cases using pointers can easily double performance.

It would really be good if C# has .NET's equivalent of ASM operator - that's why top wish for the language.

Comment

There are pointers in C# (!). See language reference.
                Well, I can't really see where I said that C# has not got pointers??!

As i said usage of pointers can double performance - direct access to memory bypasses range checking, which is fairly costly. Naturally their usage is only worth at real hotspots in the code.

Comment

In the end it doesn't matter - it may end up being converted to pointers when it's assembled by the JIT.
                  It does matter - direct access to memory allows to avoid range checks on arrays, also it allows to manipulate bytes/words/dwords directly rather than use BitConverter calls that are not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    Well, jobsOverseas is not declared and Agenda() will never run as its private and no other functions in class use it. The funniest thing however is that loop is going to run much longer than you probably think...
                    Oh dear AtW... please chill out.... read it as a light hearted comment, if id been serious I would have written it in VS.Net then posted....
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                      <Fr Dougal>

And why would they do that then Ted?

Is that like when you're standing at a bus stop, or washing your Porche, or something?

Or do they do it to see what a big feckin' eejot you are?

</Fr Dougal>
                      It's 'cause I'm on some committee to do wi' one of these OO language things, innit.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X