• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just re-read ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    yeah ? well if we start down that road, pretty soon no one will post anything out of fear of being jumped on.
    posts will dry up and the forum will die.
    now be a good boy and fck off

Have you posted general long?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      for
      "To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book with a more appropriate ending - the baddies (fascists) died and the main hero married that girl and took her back to Soviet Union where he was from. The bells in this context symbolized happy marriage because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH
        Out of curiosity is that legally or socially? What would happen in a situation where a couple really did not get on? Could they separate & live in different places just unable to get the legal process done or would society shun them to the point that it was best to stay together & put up with it (& plan murder)
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
          Could they separate & live in different places
          Where would you get a difference place? There was no market for real estate - people waited in the queue 20-30 years to get their flat.

More importantly women there understood the importance of being a good wife

Comment

"To" actually - it was the Soviet version of the book with a more appropriate ending - the baddies (fascists) died and the main hero married that girl and took her back to Soviet Union where he was from. The bells in this context symbolized happy marriage because there were no divorces in USSR.

HTH
            To continue the Soviet (well Russian) theme, Orwell's 1984 was based on Zamtaytin's 'We', in Russian language 'My' (Мы), which sounds more like 'Mwee' when you hear it - the Russian 'ы' vowel being very difficult for non-Russians...

Anyway, it's a cracking book, as is 1984.

My favourite is 'Crime and Punishment', I have it in English and in Russian (Prestupleniye i nakazaniye) but after about six years i'm still on page one of the Russian version. I refer back to the English and end up re-reading the English version. One interesting thing, the book in English is a pieice of Penguin tat, the Russian one is supremely well bound, Owlhoot will have an orgasm, covers in relief, cheaper then the Penguin...

'V nachalye Yulya...', 'In early July..' - I think that's how it starts, it's a very evocative read.

Comment

Where would you get a difference place? There was no market for real estate - people waited in the queue 20-30 years to get their flat.

Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

But don’t forget that a good wife needs a good husband to make it work
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

Yes quiet.

Most women also had their own job, though they'd get up to 3 years to raise kids - this means though "no career" to give up bulltulip.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Because I find a book about the Spanish Civil war to be boring it means I'm not intelligent?
                    Not at all. What I called you was "anti-intellectual" which doesn't mean the same thing at all.

Only a pretentious knob would come on here saying they had read it. I have read Crime and Punishment for e.g. but I don't see the point posting about it.
                    And yet you see the point in replying and engaging with as you put it "pretentious knobs" in order to discuss literature, and you express an opinion on the book. Does that not make you a pretentious knob?
                    Last edited by doodab; 12 May 2011, 14:40.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Yes quiet
                      Rules #1 and #2 of good wifery
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X