• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Index linked saving certificates are back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of a misunderstanding here I think. It's the actual index they look at, not the % change in the index over the last x months that the papers report as the RPI. If the RPI falls, that means we have (in theory) actual deflation, so you get the benefit of all your money back + 0.5% + everything got cheaper while you were waiting.

NS&I - Index linked savings certificates
    Last edited by doodab; 12 May 2011, 14:18.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Bit of a misunderstanding here I think. It's the actual index they look at, not the % change in the index over the last x months that the papers report as the RPI. If the RPI falls, that means we have (in theory) actual deflation, so you get the benefit of all your money back + 0.5% + everything got cheaper while you were waiting.

They will soon introduce new true inflation metric called: Light Inflation Estimation or LIE.

HTH

Comment

Shows how far we've come when we get excited about a 0.5% return after 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I don't remember who said it, but Premium Bonds were a better bet when interest rates are > 5%
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            sheesh man, I dont mean to be heartless, but think of the will. I did my mums estate last year and it was a bloody nightmare. If I had used a solicitor it would have cost us 15 - 18 k.
            bear that in mind, profit and loss type of thing

That's hopefully all taken care of. I'm joint executor and the will etc is all up-to-date. It would be nice if he had a few more years though before I have to worry about it!
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              I don't remember who said it, but Premium Bonds were a better bet when interest rates are > 5%
              Exactly. I've got my full quota plus some in the kids' names, and I get a return of about £50-£100 per month. Plus there's the chance of winning the jackpot....

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Most people are excited that in 5 years time their currency might still exist.

Comment

It's the RPI. Neighbour has one and says it's quite good.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

£15000 max, not worth the hassle imo

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                      £15000 max, not worth the hassle imo
                      5% RPI + 0.5% on £15k = £825 tax free for the year.

A days money. I agree.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X