• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP Henry Cooper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I wor a little lad our village shop won a 'Best Shop' competition, and the prize was Henry Cooper.

I mean, he just stood there, chatting to anybody who wanted to, giving autographs and such. All day. Most of the kids were a bit nervous, but I went up and shook his hand and chatted to him for quite a while, craning my neck. Giant of a man he seemed.

Very nice though, quiet and polite. Boring story, I know, but I felt a bit sad when I heard the news, he came across as one of those sportsmen who are really likeable human beings, which seems to be a bit out of fashion these days.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      No I never knew any of that, was just wondering why he was so famous. I suppose for knocking down Ali.
      And for controversially losing to Joe Bugner. He never spoke to the ref after that, who used to be his friend.

He was famous for being a great British character and for lasting about 15 years as a pro boxer.

He was European champion on and off, but too small to beat the world's best heavyweights. The one time he might have, his weakness for eye cuts let him down.

Comment

Working...
      X