• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll - How confident do you feel about contracting/work in the next 12 months?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    The market for personal trainers is growing quite strongly in NL, partly because there are plenty of fat rich people, but partly because some top sportspeople are hiring personal trainers with their olympic grants; I've been giving some training to one of the Dutch national ladies rugby sevens squad who's got a grant from the national olympic committee to prepare for 2016 olympics. Obviously, you need contacts to get that sort of work. It's one of those jobs that looks very easy, but isn't; the best qualifications require quite a lot of learning (anatomy, physiology, training theory, advanced first aid, biomechanics, business skills etc etc) and both written and practical exams are pretty tough. You can get work without qualifying, but the right qualifications get you into professional networks which help you in getting customers and positioning yourself at the top end of the market where you can bill between 55 and 75 euros per hour, and occasionally much more if you break into the celebrity market. At the lower end of the market, poncing around in a franchise gym wearing a pink shirt that says 'personal trainer' and listening to Wilmslow whingeing about his latest injury, you'll never make much more than 20 euros per hour, and if you're on the payroll of the gym it's basically a McJob paying minimum wage + about 20%.
    Just some friendly advice, it's difficult to read a long ream of text without paragraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      Just some friendly advice, it's difficult to read a long ream of text without paragraphs.
      true; corrected
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        I've got too much work. Just started on an 8 month project for clientco but contract runs out at end of June. So expecting an extension on that with some luck.

My other concurrent contract is doing my head in so I'm trying to off load that.

But as you never really know, I'm only confident, not super confident.
        Me too. I'm turning down ex-clients and other contractors with whom I've worked who have moved onto other clients and now need some BI there
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I will be able to get work, but it might not be at rates I am happy with.
          WHS

I counter this by making sarnies and taking a flask to clientco, the permies are moaning about a payfreeze and cuts yet they all eat in the canteen and spend a fiver a day on coffee.

They take the piss until I point out my thrift is worth a good £150-200 a month.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Whose sockie are you then?
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Whose sockie are you then?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                true; corrected
                I think Mich usually writes for intermediate and advanced readers, but it's nice to see he's being inclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Nah. Slightly too intelligent.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

And too charming.

Comment

Get bent

What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X