• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permiedom shame

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    +1. Nearly 6 months into permiedom now. The appraisal sh1te has been a pretty easy hurdle to grin & bear, otherwise going good, topping up my CV how I wanted. I'll give it another 6-9 months and get all my hols out of the way before I start looking at the contract market again probably.
    This is me to a tee! I groaned and resisted at first but now I'm lying and promising and copying something for some pointless 'solutions' exercise and claiming it's mine like the rest, just to shut the fookers up. They're clueless.

On the appraisal thing though I'm shiite because I'm a dooer - an artisan, a techie, I'd rather 'do' than fill a form in planning what I'm about to do and one after as to why I've not done so (cos I had to fill the form in and ran out of time) so I got 'marked down' cos of that.

However, a bit of bluster about my 'contractor do-first ways' and 'I'm learning' and 'improving' keeps the dickheads at bay.

But, it's always amusing when someone comes up to you says 'FFS - why have you not uplifted the AIX Frame LPARs and VIO's to latest TL, SAP is crashing and we're DOOOOMMMMEED'. And I say...

"Boss man say's I have to do my TPS reports as agreed in the four hour Team Meeting this morning and update my Appraisal Objectives on the intranet then make sure my HR concerns are registered. And now i have to take my five minute per hour computer break. Thank you"

Comment

Am I a permie too?

I get paid sick leave (@ full day rate)
      I get paid holiday (@ full day rate)
      I'm still a temp worker

This is this AUG license business in Germany (not through my UK Ltd). They're obviously holding money back to pay for those. The client really wanted me to use this system. So the rate up was upped to a level I did not expect a return phone call (I mean really upped if they were going to tax everything at source)

They accepted! (that was months ago)

According to my UK accountant I'm actually taxed less (almost 10% less) if the same job were in the UK.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

"Boss man say's I have to do my TPS reports as agreed in the four hour Team Meeting this morning and update my Appraisal Objectives on the intranet then make sure my HR concerns are registered. And now i have to take my five minute per hour computer break. Thank you"
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

On the appraisal thing though I'm shiite because I'm a dooer - an artisan, a techie, I'd rather 'do' than fill a form in planning what I'm about to do and one after as to why I've not done so (cos I had to fill the form in and ran out of time) so I got 'marked down' cos of that.
          Of course many contractors here have made whole careers out of planning and form filling rather than actually doing anything. In fact, today I need to investigate the work I'll be doing for the next 4 weeks and write a document outlining it, rather than what I want to do which is just get on with it. The stupid thing is I need to do a lot of delving in and figuring out ancient code in order to work out what I need to do, and if I'm going to do that I may as well just do the work as I do it. But that's not what the client wants .

But I'm being paid per hour, so if the client wants me to work in a mindlessly inneficient way, then it's in my interests not to point out the mindless inefficiency. That's one thing I won't miss from contracting.

PermieCo are into Agile, but I think in a take the useful parts of it and ignore the BS way. Which means I need to finally read the Agile book I bought a couple of years ago, and find something else to use as a monitor stand.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But, it's always amusing when someone comes up to you says 'FFS - why have you not uplifted the AIX Frame LPARs and VIO's to latest TL, SAP is crashing and we're DOOOOMMMMEED'. And I say...
            That reminds me of the time in permieland the boss got back from his hols and announced to his boss that he was "very disappointed" that I hadn't done a major OS upgrade while he was away.

Said upgrade had been put on hold by the manufacturer, but he left that gem of information out.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

yeah you do sound like a permie....
              sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

This is me to a tee!
                This thread reminds me of that Bearded Women scene in Life of Brian.

"Are there any permies here today?" etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  This thread reminds me of that Bearded Women scene in Life of Brian.

"Are there any permies here today?" etc. etc.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Hope it works out for you
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X