• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TUC march on London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some are concerned for their jobs.

That's mainly because going out and hustling for work, as contractors do quite regularly, is an alien concept to most of them.

I have a bit of sympathy with these, because that's the environment they've been brought up in and they know no better. We had that in the 1980s and people had to learn.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 27 March 2011, 21:01.

Comment

Most don't seem to understand the concept of a budget deficit, that the money for public sector wages has to be obtained from somewhere.

They won't have a clue about borrowing, national credit ratings, or paying more in interest on debt than is paid on any department except the NHS.

For those that do understand what a budget deficit is, most think that taxing the bollocks off Phillip Green, bankers, and other millionaires will cover it.

I don't have any sympathy with this lot.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Isn't it about time we organised a taxpayers' pro-cuts protest, on the grounds the cuts aren't going far or fast enough?

Anyone up for it? What does one have to do? Just tell the police and then turn up?
        I'll join in!
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          Most don't seem to understand the concept of a budget deficit, that the money for public sector wages has to be obtained from somewhere.

They won't have a clue about borrowing, national credit ratings, or paying more in interest on debt than is paid on any department except the NHS.

For those that do understand what a budget deficit is, most think that taxing the bollocks off Phillip Green, bankers, and other millionaires will cover it.

WHS

Most people, MP's included have no idea about the difference between the deficit and the national debt.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            WHS

Most people, MP's included have no idea about the difference between the deficit and the national debt.
            I've noticed that as well. It's no wonder that personal debt has also climbed over the same period.

Comment

Did Ed Miliband really compare the rally on Saturday with the suffragettes, the US civil rights movement and the anti-apartheid movement?

If he did, what a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

My parents were a bit like that. They had no comprehension whatsoever of late payment or bad debtors.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Isn't it about time we organised a taxpayers' pro-cuts protest, on the grounds the cuts aren't going far or fast enough?

Anyone up for it? What does one have to do? Just tell the police and then turn up?
                  I emailed the website organising the march to ask if there was a section of the march for those in favour of the cuts.
                  Needless to say I didn't get a response..

Comment

I've never understood the fascination
                    of joining a demo and the proceeding to act like a twat and
                    smash the place up.

It reminds me when I was 17/18 at technical college where one particularly odious student had taken place in the
                    poll tax riots and was boasting of his
                    exploits. 'Yeah I smashed this and set fire
                    to that and I caught this copper a blinder with a rock'

Which was enough for one listening student who's dad was a copper who stepped forward and punched the guy in the face and then said 'you can call the police if you like!' :rollin
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Which was enough for one listening student who's dad was a copper who stepped forward and punched the guy in the face and then said 'you can call the police if you like!'
                      Nice one!! These rallies are just another excuse for the great unwashed to indulge in a bit of vandalism. They ought to use all that energy looking for work.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X