• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making a will

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Don't worry you ain't going to die soon Cliphead
    Thanks!
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again...

Next time
      No worries. Btw wodders when you neg me you may as well sign it. Your worth 1 pt and by far the easiest person to spot.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        No worries. Btw wodders when you neg me you may as well sign it. Your worth 1 pt and by far the easiest person to spot.
        I'd love too but:
        Originally posted by Rep thingy
        You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MarillionFan again
        Cos I repped you yesterday
        Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
        Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
            I'd love too but:

Cos I repped you yesterday
            Tut tut. You repped me on the 21st. It's a three day cycle
            and as you're a sockie who reps his full rep every day that was you.

Come on. Who are you?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Tut tut. You repped me on the 21st. It's a three day cycle
              and as you're a sockie who reps his full rep every day that was you.
              Really - I could have sworn I repped you yesterday but you are probably right

Come on. Who are you?
              I've told you a few times.
              Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
              Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

The main reasons to use a solicitor are to ensure it's worded in such a way that cannot be disputed legally, and to have it properly witnessed.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                  The main reasons to use a solicitor are to ensure it's worded in such a way that cannot be disputed legally, and to have it properly witnessed.
                  No, that's not the main reason at all.

The main reason is get peace of mind - often wrongly.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    No, that's not the main reason at all.

The main reason is get peace of mind - often wrongly.
                    I think you're wrong. To be valid, a will must be witnessed by someone who is not a beneficiary. Many people have trouble finding someone who fits the bill that they are willing to share the contents of their will with, so they go to a solicitor.

From Wikipedia:

A common error (for example) in the execution of home-made wills in England is to use a beneficiary (typically a spouse or other close family members) as a witness – although this has the effect in law of disinheriting the witness regardless of the provisions of the will.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Anyway, to the OP, instead of listening to the likes of AtW I suggest you have a look at this very useful webpage:

Wills

Comment

Working...
                      X