• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House price propping up goes national

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my mother and father got married in the 50s they bought a decent flat in a reasonable area for 800 quid, my mum had just went into teaching and my dad was in the army and both of them had a salary of 800 quid, no 5 minute mortgages in those days so you had to save for while but that flat is now worth 200,000, 5 times maybe the joint income of a private and a first year.

Even when I left uni in the late 90s you could pick up a 1 bedroom in a good area for 50k, they will go for 220 now, affordable for nearly all self funded graduates.

I know a couple, one who is a grad lawyer for a bank with the favourable mortgage deal and a final year law student with a full time job at night and all they could afford was a flat in a hosing scheme last year.

Labour have royally ****ed this country up and if anyone thinks the conservatives would have done the same they can read Major's first and only budget speech where he addresses the problems of out of control citizen debt to the nation and his efforts to curb that.

What I liked about today was that it was a budget that centered on how we should make the earning of money and it's taxation to be made easy. The budget was often a side show for labour as they had little or no clue where the nations wealth comes from, a few meaningless lines about golden rules, hundreds of taxes and then back to the real job of lawyers who run governments, making up laws.

Comment

Working...
    X